Pickeled Pig contest statistics vs KCBS team rankings

dhuffjr

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
PP says 11277 teams competed this year. KCBS rankings goes up to 4640 as far as I can tell. I'm curious where the difference is coming from?

1st, I doubt all teams are KCBS members...Paul, I assume is tracking by name while KCBS is tracking by member number.

2nd, a member could cook under different team names, but is tracked under the original team name that the member number is associated with. This past year, I cooked under 3 team names.

Just ideas......

You know that could be it. All BBQ societies combined.....makes sense.

4,640 is the number of unique teams that have competed in KCBS contests this year. 11,277 is the number of teams that have entered KCBS contests and it does include duplicates. For example, if a team competed in 20 contests this year it would be counted once in the 4,640 but 20 times in 11,277. You could say that 4,640 teams have competed a total of 11,277 times meaning that each team has competed an average of 2.4 times.

Paul, I would have loved to hear you explain that about 4pm on Saturday afternoon! :lol:

Hey Jeff, can we get a campaign promise to add more detail to the KCBS TOY information? Would be nice to drill into teams and see their placings in categories and overall. This could potentially be linked to team bios as well. A sanctioning body should have this kind of historical information available. Maybe they are too busy pormoting Chipotle Tabasco.

Hey Jeff, can we get a campaign promise to add more detail to the KCBS TOY information? Would be nice to drill into teams and see their placings in categories and overall. This could potentially be linked to team bios as well. A sanctioning body should have this kind of historical information available. Maybe they are too busy pormoting Chipotle Tabasco.

Todd, I think that's a great idea. If Paul and Lee can accomplish this on their site and keep up with it, there's no reason the sanctioning body can't do the same. As for campaign promises, all I can promise is what I have control over... to listen to cooks and be a voice for what they need - and vote likewise. But improving our stats on the KCBS site is definitely something I'll support and push for.

I have heard from multiple cooks that want to see where they rate in comparison to teams that cook the same number of contest and the same number of contest within a given date range.

Todd, one other comment in regards to you mentioning Tabasco promotion... wait until you see the payday KCBS will receive due to that and the other promotions from the BBQ Tour! Definitely gonna allow us to do some cool stuff going forward! I'm sure the Web site can be part of that, as well as a possible scholarship program and maybe paying the top tens for ToY and the categories! Things are gonna get exciting soon!

Back to the somewhat the original intent of this thread ... I have a question for Paul regarding points per comp/category on his site vs. KCBS's definition of points.

As I understand it based on KCBS's info (http://www.kcbs.us/rankings.php) a 4th place team in a 47 team event would receive 222 points (175+47=222) ... however this was one of our finishes this year and on Paul's site it was valued at 219 points. One team didn't turn in a category so I would understand if only 46 bonus points were given making our score 221

Most of our finishes are tallied slightly different than what I come up with using the formula posted on KCBS's site. It's likely that I'm the one causing the error in my case ... but I'm unsure what I'm doing incorrectly that has my total off by about 70 points for the year.

Secondly, will KCBS post the entire database of finishes at the end of the year? I'd like to see where we stack up as a whole? We only did 9 comps, but I can divide our total by 9 and the top finishers by 10 to see where our avg. point total would fit in.

thanks

Keep in mind that I have 2 different ranking systems on the site. My Power Rankings use a slightly different calculation than KCBS TOY. One difference is that I only award bonus points for teams that you beat plus 1 point for your own team so if you came in 4th in a 47 team contest, I only give you 44 bonus points. Another big difference is that I don't cap the points for a team's best 10 scores. The widgets from my site follow these power rankings.

If you are trying to get a handle on KCBS TOY, use the TOY approximation page. That should match KCBS point for point.

KCBS did publish a full list of TOY standings at the end of last year.

Sled, that site is missing data ... or it least it is for us. It looks like it's missing various comps from September-October 2008 for everyone.

Todd, one other comment in regards to you mentioning Tabasco promotion... wait until you see the payday KCBS will receive due to that and the other promotions from the BBQ Tour! Definitely gonna allow us to do some cool stuff going forward! I'm sure the Web site can be part of that, as well as a possible scholarship program and maybe paying the top tens for ToY and the categories! Things are gonna get exciting soon!
I guess if the payday is big enough, we can promote anything. (sorry about the hijack, this one really hit me hard)

I wonder if PNWBA events can be included in the National Rankings? The closest KCBS comp was 350 miles miles from me!

Back