New BBQ Accessory

spoon

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Some may remember that I previously had a scrap piece of silestone countertop material that I placed on my pit for outdoor prep. I really liked it cuz it was impervious to weather and was plenty big. Well, I accidently bumped the pit with my car backing out of the driveway, knocking off the old table-top and smashing it to pieces. I really wanted a replacement cuz I like to prep meat outside so OL doesn't scream about messing up the kitchen. I thought a cutting board material would do good outdoors, so I started looking online. The cheapest place I found was the following:

www.hannarubbercompany.com

They cut it to my specs (36"W x 20"D x 1"thick). On the pit, it hangs over a bit from the metal table, but is still very stable due to weight. I wanted as big as possible to allow for briskets, etc. Its easy to clean - just hose it off and scrub. Total price (incl delivery) = $55.

Here is a pic:

Attachments

• bbqpitprepboard.jpg
    bbqpitprepboard.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 175
Sounds like you got a good deal. One nice thing about this material is it can be resurfaced (ie. after it's well scratched and marked up) by sanding.

Cleaning: you are so right - rinse, scrub, hit with a bleach solution and you're done!

will the part closest to the cooker melt or warp at all?

willkat98 said:
will the part closest to the cooker melt or warp at all?

Bill, I'm not sure as I haven't cooked since getting it. I can leave a small space (1-2"), and I think I'll be fine. Its fairly hard material - not as hard as the silestone I had before - but still good. I'll update if I have any problems.

Just checked their website. NSF approved. This is a good thing to have for commercial vendors.

Sanatec is made from HDPE (High Density Polyethelene) and has a melting point of 271*F. I would mount the cutting about 1/2" away from the smoking chamber just to be safe.

Sawdustguy said:
Sanatec is made from HDPE (High Density Polyethelene) and has a melting point of 271*F. I would mount the cutting about 1/2" away from the smoking chamber just to be safe.

Great info - thanks.

Nice setup. How do you have the table secure to the pit (tp avoid a repeat trashing)?

Aeynghus said:
Nice setup. How do you have the table secure to the pit (tp avoid a repeat trashing)?
Just resting on top of expanded metal table - not secured. Its fairly heavy, so I don't have much concern unless I perform a repeat maneuver with the car. Even if that happens, I don't think this new board would break into pieces - just fall off.

Why take a chance. Drill some holes thru the metal table underneath. Your cutting board is an inch thick. Just get some 3/4" stainless steel sheet metal screws and washers and screw thru the holes you drilled in the metal table beneath.

Back