Needed: 1/4" Thread Thermometer for WSM

LeeBo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I read at the virtual bullet website how you can replace one of the strap bolts on the WSM with a thermometer. However, I have checked Lowe's, HD, and Ace with no luck.

I found one thermometer that was threaded, but it was 3/8 and thus too big for the hole.

Anyone know where I can find a 1/4" threaded thermometer?

I would look at buying the thermometer you want - Spice has some nice ones - and then drill the hole out to the size you need.

I've got one of Spice's in my Bandera. They're adjustable and easy to read.

tommykendall said:
also try Grainger. also, maybe I'm not using my WSM enough but WTF is the strap bolt?

Think it has something to do with screwing.

Last edited:
tommykendall said:
also try Grainger. also, maybe I'm not using my WSM enough but WTF is the strap bolt?

It's the bold that goes through the side and holds the aluminum strap (which holds the grill).

I thought my grill supports are welded in place. Guess I'll have to look. Can't think of any other bolts except for the legs.

I think what they were referring to was replacing one of the upper bolts that holds the water pan and grate brackets with a hollow rivet from BBQ Guru. That way you can insert a thermometer probe near the top grate. Or you can use a digital with remote (wired) probe by running the wire through the hole and then setting the probe on either grate. You can sick it through a potato so it doesn't touch the grate itself.
Here are the rivets:
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=36&idproduct=136

Get the 3/8 one and drill a hole anywhere you want in the lid. I've never seen any thermometers with smaller threads. You might search ebay.

Right, I saw the rivets for sale, but there is also mention of replacing a bold with a 1/4" threaded thermometer. I found a 3/8" but am not crazy about drilling out the wall and straps.
----------

From Virtual Bullet:

Middle Cooking Section Mounting
Elvin Giles bought an inexpensive 1/4" threaded barbecue thermometer at Home Depot and inserted it through one of the grill strap holes, fastening it with a nut.

Attachments

• giles_sm.jpg
    giles_sm.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 57
With the Bi-Metal required in the stem to read temp you going to be hard pressed to find one. I would venture to say they don't exist and if they did they would not be worth a POOPIE. Physics puts limits on the size.

OK, I've seen that thermometer at Home Depot and I think Lowe's sells them too. It's made by Charboil I think and it costs around 9 bucks. They have 2 types, one with some kind of spring clip and one with threads. I'm going there this afternoon so if you'd like I could get the details on it, i.e. thread size, price, sku #, etc...

brdbbq said:
With the Bi-Metal required in the stem to read temp you going to be hard pressed to find one. I would venture to say they don't exist and if they did they would not be worth a POOPIE. Physics puts limits on the size.

This is getting too high tech for me. Please dumb it down a little so I can understand WTF you are saying.

tommykendall said:
This is getting too high tech for me. Please dumb it down a little so I can understand WTF you are saying.

To much chit has to go down that shaft to make the farking needle register temperature to find one that is 1/4". :biggrin:

Kirk said:
OK, I've seen that thermometer at Home Depot and I think Lowe's sells them too. It's made by Charboil I think and it costs around 9 bucks. They have 2 types, one with some kind of spring clip and one with threads. I'm going there this afternoon so if you'd like I could get the details on it, i.e. thread size, price, sku #, etc...

That's the odd thing.... At my Lowe's the display rack says 1/4" but all of the individual packages are marked 3/8".

The other thing I don't understand is that 90% of the bags include the spring clip although 100% of the bags are marked as a threaded thermometer.

20100259.jpg

Part No. 20100259
Model: GT200

Details: 1-3/4" Dial, 2-1/2" Stem x .150" Diam., 20/240 Degrees F Temp. Range, 304SS External Parts, Glass Lens, 1/4" NPT

Sammi, You da man. I been looking all afternoon for that. I knew it could be found. BrD was thinking 1/4" NPT was actualy 1/4". 1/4" National Pipe Thread is much larger. Dang plumbers talk. And we thought metric was a challenge.

Rather than trying to drill thru the porcelin on the WSM to make the hole bigger why not just drill a hole in the door and attach it to that?

Scott

Back