• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

OMOSB - "One More Offset Smoker Build"

Very nice work. I'm in the process of building a center feed reverse flow but quite a bit smaller. I see that you placed your chimney about cooking grate lever. What was your thought process as far as how high to put it?

Well to be honest, we needed about 18 inches out the top to provide a nice mounting surface for the chrome stack that goes over it. So we used a 1/3 rule and left about 6 inches inside the smoker so we had enough material to support the stack on the outside and give us room to brace it against the inside wall. I also took a look at a lot of different smokers and decided that I wanted about 4-6 inches of room above the grates as a starting point. Lastly I wanted to be able to have the inner sleeve be able to drop down below grate level if I wanted it to. IE lots of adjustment. Since we have yet to formally cook on it, I have no idea if we are right or not. But I do know we have a lot of tuning capacity if its not right out of the box too.

I've been following your build since the start, and I'm loving it. Everything looks awesome and your attention to detail is impeccable! Great job so far, you're really starting to make me want to build an offset.

I say go for it. Its been fun to work on over the winter and we have traded a lot of great ideas with a lot of folks in designing it. I have also had a lot of help and great suggestions from fellow brethren on here too. Looking forward to meeting folks this summer as we do some cooking. :becky:

Thanks everyone. The smoker has been relocated to a top secret facility where it will treated with several coats of stealth based smoker paint. This is being done to protect the contents from prying eyes and any electronic evesdropping attempts regarding our rub recipes.

Spy photos of the process will most likely surface in the near future along with test cook photos shortly after that.

There are also rumors of test cooks using the new stealth smoker happening at the following locations in the coming months.:mrgreen:

* Minnesota In May - Fairibault, MN May 18th - 19th. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnesota-in-May-BBQ-Contest/144967238892084#!/randyhomeloan

* Cooking in Steele - Owatonna, MN June 1-2nd.
http://www.smokininsteele.com/

* Med City BBQ Competition - Rochester, MN , August 10th-11th
http://www.medcitybbq.com/

* Big Island BBQ Competition - Albert Lea, MN, August 24th - 25th.
http://bigislandfestivalandbbq.org/barbque/index.php

Last edited:
I like the aluminum tread plate..We considered it for ours but I can't remember if it was more expensive or not. Definitely good choice..it's gonna make that trailer pop! Lovin it! I can't remember, is your fb double walled? Be sure to let me know how the high temp paint works out. I'm wanting to go that route. I don't think a fire will spike to 1500 degrees, but you never know right? Those wheels are just hot! I'm enjoying this build thoroughly. Just build another after this so it doesn't have to end!

So while the paint work is being done, its trivia time.

What do you think the trailer and smoker weighs in total? I weighed it attached to the truck and by its self to see what the tongue weight was. Guesses on total weight?

64741_3430599007784_1354630820_33405334_207770027_n.jpg

I can't remember, is your fb double walled? Be sure to let me know how the high temp paint works out. I'm wanting to go that route. I don't think a fire will spike to 1500 degrees, but you never know right? Those wheels are just hot! I'm enjoying this build thoroughly. Just build another after this so it doesn't have to end!

The firebox is a double walled stove. will post the results of the experiment. Hopefully it won't burn off. The paint is about $180 bucks per gallon! Its got ceramic in it and has to be baked at 450 for one hour to make it cure completely.

My Guess is 1850

Very close. I am figuring on it weighing about that when completed and the rest of the aluminum is added back on and the other storage box is added.

Current total weight is 1620lbs. The aluminum tread plate saved us about 300lbs of weight.

You saved 300?!?! What ga are you using? I think all of my steel tread plate together only weighed about that much..its about 60 sq ft (give or take). You're overall weight is amazing though.. Very light.

Back