Smoked Sausage Cajun style

toddrod

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Since I am on a 7 day off stretch and have nothing to do today I think it will be a smoked sausage making kind of day.

Recipe for 50lbs of smoked sausage

All measures are by fluid ounces

7 oz non iodized salt (i use sea salt or kosher)
2.5 fl oz black pepper
3 fl oz red pepper
2.5 fl oz Accent
1.5 fl oz granulated garlic
1 fl oz paprika
1 fl oz light brown sugar
10 pints cold water

Mix this all together and if you are making less than 50lbs (as I did) you just add 1 tablespoon of the mix to each pound of meat.

Some people will also add 1 tsp of liquid smoke per 5 lbs of meat when they make it as a fresh sausage (not needed but is an option). It is an excellent fresh sausage too.

For smoked sausage I also add 1 tsp of Sodium Nitrite ( also known as Prague powder #1 or pink curing salt) to each 5lbs of meat.

This recipe will give you a nice spicy and flavorful cajun type sausage but with out the over whelming red pepper flavor found in so many store bought sausages and spice mixes. If you try it you will like it

Here is 30lbs of ground pork butt ready to be seasoned and stuffed. I use a Cabelas #12 3/4 horse electric grinder and a 1/8 inch plate for my smoked sausages and a 1/4 plate for my fresh sausages. That is a 15lb SS stuffer I bought from Northern Tool. It works great.
114_0544.jpg

Here it is all stuffed and ready for the smoker
114_0545.jpg

Here is the smoker. It is and old upright freezer from the 70's that came lined with aluminum. I put in aluminum angle for 4 shelfs and have expanded aluminum sheet for the shelf material. To hang the sausage I use more aluminum angle. It is gas fired with an old side burner from a gas grill and I have the big thermometer at the top and the digital one for the internal meat temp.
114_0547.jpg

Here is all the sausage hanging until the skin dries. Then I will smoke at 140 degrees for a couple of hours and then up the temp to 180 until the internal hits 165 degrees. I am using a mixture if hickory saw dust and pecan chunks today.
114_0548.jpg

Here they are all finished up and just needing to be cooled down. Yummy.
114_0549.jpg

That looks great, nice job. Its about the time of year for me to start trying some differnent sausages again.

Looks great. Most store bought sausage sucks! Guess I need to start making my own.
Like the smoker.

Looks great.

I made andouille and some tasso a few weeks ago. Also, finished up a batch of Jamaican jerk sausage recently. Sausage making is fun - though you'd best have a good relationship with the spouse or significant other - it does get a bit messy!!

Good job!

Looks great. Most store bought sausage sucks! Guess I need to start making my own.
Like the smoker.

Making your own is great! You can start off with a recipe, and either you love it or hate it, but the second time around you can change it till you like it.

Your sausage recipe sounds killer Todd!

Farking fantastic! :clap2: I'll have to try that recipe - always looking for new ones. I haven't bought sausage in a store since I started making it a couple years ago.

Thanks for putting that up - love it! :thumb:

wow those look good. I need to try making some myself one day soon.

Is there a drool emoticon? I sure need one at this point.

Looks awesome.

Sausage looks Great!

But I have (a possibly silly) question on your recipe. You list fl oz as measure of dry ingredients. Fluid oz? or do you go by weight?

Back