• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken Wings Using the @STOKGrills Charcoal Basket Like A Vortex

captjoe06

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Went to watch the Syracuse March Madness game with my nephew BJ and BIL Barry and decided to try out the STOK Charcoal Basket that comes with the STOK Charcoal Drum for indirect cooking of some chicken wings.
People rave about the Vortex and it’s capabilities on all the BBQ forums and a couple of weeks ago I realized that the STOK charcoal basket insert is very similar in shape and is made to place right in the center of the grate where one would place the vortex unit on a Weber Kettle.
I used it to sear a ribeye a couple weeks ago and it worked perfectly. That was using the charcoal basket upside down and searing the ribeye directly over the coals inside the vortex for an excellent sear.
For chicken wings you set up the charcoal basket upside down again but you cook the chicken wings on the outside perimeter of the grill grates for indirect heat.
Started the coals in the Broil King Chimney at 6:06PM
By 6:19PM they were ready to dump directly into the upside down STOK charcoal basket.
2016-03-20-18-19-581.jpg

I bought 4 lbs of chicken wings with the drumsticks attached and cut them with heavy duty kitchen shears to separate the wings from the drumsticks. Placed the chicken in a large ziplock bag and added 1/4 cup of Paul Prudhomme Blackened Rub and a 1/4 cup of peanut oil to the ziplock bag and shook it up to coat the wings. Then they sat in the fridge until ready to cook.
At 6:25PM the center grate of the STOK insert system was replaced after the coals were dumped and the chicken was placed around the perimeter of the grill grate with the meatiest parts of the chicken facing inward and skin side up.
2016-03-20-18-25-24.jpg

One hunk of mesquite placed in the center directly over the coals for smoke.
2016-03-20-18-25-34.jpg

6:38 mark. In the future I will trust the cooking and not lift the lid for at least 25 minutes. the dome temp from the STOK drum read around 575 and I closed the bottom vent 2/3 of the way to make sure temps didn’t run away.
2016-03-20-18-38-28.jpg

7:01 Dome temp 480. I figure the temps at grate level are probably 75 degrees less. next time I’ll do a check.
2016-03-20-19-01-22.jpg

2016-03-20-19-01-52.jpg

7:05 checking the chicken internal temps they were registering anywhere from 168- 182. Time to come off.
2016-03-20-19-05-00.jpg
2016-03-20-19-07-56.jpg

The skin was bite through crispy and the chicken was juicy and flavorful. Best I’ve ever done and my BIL Barry and nephew BJ, both Wing connoisseurs said they were hands down the best they’ve ever eaten.
I won’t cook them any other way. If you don’t have a STOK grill I would highly recommend getting a Vortex for yourself.

Looks great!

I have a STOK grate on my Weber Performer and love it.

Looks great!

I have a STOK grate on my Weber Performer and love it.

I really like mine too. Keep a mason jar with peanut oil out by the grill and wipe the cast iron down before and after every cook. They stay "grate" (see what I did there?) so long as you take care of them.

I was all about getting craycort grates for my Smokey Joe but there's also something about the ease of handling those lightweight grates that come on the Smokey Joe with a simple pair of tongs.

I was just look at those grates today. I was thinking of removing the center piece when cooking chicken. Does food stick to those grates very much?
By the way good looking chicken.

I was just look at those grates today. I was thinking of removing the center piece when cooking chicken. Does food stick to those grates very much?
By the way good looking chicken.

It doesn't if you cook on them often and/or regularly brush them with some vegetables oil

Back