Black Eye Peas

tntitan

Knows what a fatty is.
Happy New Year Brethrens wife want a recipe for black eye peas maybe with some chopped pork added to it have a great grilling day guys

sounds like you pretty much got it down. just add some pork chops, ham hocks etc and boil them till they are tender.

We make a traditional Southern dish every year called Hoppin' John...there are several recipes on the internet but all are basically the same ingredients...and yes...we put a dime in it! :cool: Here is Emeril's recipe...BAM! :twisted:

Ingredients
  • tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large ham hock
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery, chopped
  • 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
  • 1 pound black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and rinsed
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • Bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
  • Salt, black pepper, and cayenne
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
  • 3 cups steamed white rice
Directions

Heat oil in a large soup pot, add the ham hock and sear on all sides for 4 minutes. Add the onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic, cook for 4 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas, stock, bay leaves, thyme, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the peas are creamy and tender, stir occasionally. If the liquid evaporates, add more water or stock. Adjust seasonings, and garnish with green onions. Serve over rice.

Next year I'm going to have to get on the Hoppin' John bandwagon. Although I do like our current Red Beans & Rice tradition.

Just a question, what is with the black eyed peas on new years day. I had a friend tell my fiancee the other day that she was making them today, and now I see this. Is there a meaning to it all or just a coincidence.

Growing up, my Mom always made some on New Years day and it was a traditional requirement to have some for "good luck" in the new year.
My wife and I have carried on the tradition ever since we married a long long time ago as have all of my three brothers.
(Sue started 'em yesterday to have with our New Year's ham dinner a bit later.)
We consider it a true Texas tradition in our families but I am sure there are others as well.

Great anytime of the year, but on New Year's Day-----

Black Eyed Peas (screened carefully for bits of rock and dirt)
Pork (Hint--Lots--any form but smoked is best. Hocks, bacon, PP, ham, and loin all work well)
Onions (Lots)
Garlic (Lots, in any form)
Salt and Pepper.
Beef Broth to cover by an inch or so.
Pork (even more if you did not follow the first hint) :lol:

Cook till done. Can be an hour or so at high heat, or about forever if "warming to death" at super low heat.

We like a little firmness in the peas. Makes them even better on re-heat that way without getting too mushy.

Serve with a sweet cornbread.

Kick back and watch your favoite bowl games :lol:
Life is Good.

TIM

You will have a day of good luck for every pea you eat. So goes the tradition. Who am I to doubt it? Will be trying to cram down my 365 of them.

We make a traditional Southern dish every year called Hoppin' John...there are several recipes on the internet but all are basically the same ingredients...and yes...we put a dime in it! :cool: Here is Emeril's recipe...BAM! :twisted:

Ingredients
  • tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large ham hock
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery, chopped
  • 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
  • 1 pound black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and rinsed
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • Bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
  • Salt, black pepper, and cayenne
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
  • 3 cups steamed white rice
Directions

Heat oil in a large soup pot, add the ham hock and sear on all sides for 4 minutes. Add the onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic, cook for 4 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas, stock, bay leaves, thyme, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the peas are creamy and tender, stir occasionally. If the liquid evaporates, add more water or stock. Adjust seasonings, and garnish with green onions. Serve over rice.
That's pretty much the same recipe I've been taught by Mom,minus the cayenne. I don't soak. start with enough stock and water, at a rolling boil about 30 min. then simmer a couple hours. The more you stir the thicker and creammer they get . Just keep adding more liquid so it dosen't scorch and burn.

We had an old left-over ham bone- just the thing for black-eyed peas. I let that ham bone simmer with the peas for hours. We also had some collard greens- another New Year's tradition. Those were just side dishes for the pulled pork sandwiches, though.

Back