So you want to make 125 gal of Brunswick stew today?

How big is your serving? Will this fit in one nice size stock pot?

As far as the potatoes and onions and meats, chop them up small. Potatoes should be no bigger than 1/2" square. Chop onions thin. Shred meat. You dont want a big chunk of anything on your spoon when its done. NTTAWWT. But we're making Brunswick stew here.

Also, use the smaller butterbeans not the huge limas.

I think I converted everything to quarts and then figured four servings per quart.

I think this will fit in a good sized dutch oven or cast iron pot. I'm going to try out my conversion this weekend.

Are butterbeans really just small lima beans? I hate lima beans...

Guess my bowls are bigger Larry, cause I only get three servings per quart, but 4 would be even better.
Cant wait for Brauma to make some Brunswich stew in his little eggs. His beans are killer good. Cant beat a real fire and smoke for flavor.

Guess my bowls are bigger Larry, cause I only get three servings per quart, but 4 would be even better.
Cant wait for Brauma to make some Brunswich stew in his little eggs. His beans are killer good. Cant beat a real fire and smoke for flavor.

If you just eat it out of the pot it's ONE serving...

Nice job on keeping the tradition alive, at church and for a good cause. AWESOME! My Grandparents made it the same way for their restaurant, and then when they sold the rest. they made it that way at home. I am now the proud owner of their recipe. Great job of stirring up the memories of my grandparents.

BTW, We had a Brunswick stew "contest" on 18 October down in Brunswick GA. Lots of your Brethern from VA make the trip every year. If I ever get up towards VA this time of year, I'll be sure to have some VA stew. Great Job.:p

Major League Cool Bro! Thanks for sharing...and keeping a great tradition alive!

Nice job on keeping the tradition alive, at church and for a good cause. AWESOME! My Grandparents made it the same way for their restaurant, and then when they sold the rest. they made it that way at home. I am now the proud owner of their recipe. Great job of stirring up the memories of my grandparents.

BTW, We had a Brunswick stew "contest" on 18 October down in Brunswick GA. Lots of your Brethern from VA make the trip every year. If I ever get up towards VA this time of year, I'll be sure to have some VA stew. Great Job.:p

We have our Brunswick stew at the church on the first Saturday in October every year. That's set in stone. Please PM me next year if you may be in the neighborhood and I'll give you directions.

Oct 18, or the Saturday following Columbus Day is the date me & BeerGuy have our Fall Session every year and it is set in stone too. I forgot to mention it in the Bash thread this year (my bad) but I'll definitely mention it next year. All Brethren are welcome to come and camp over.

Looks like good old American fun. Good people, good food, Good times.

That reminds me of being a boyscout and making that brunswick stew every year to raise money for scout camp. It was a good time thanks for bringing back the memories!

Thanks for the bump and the PM Pigman. I hope your stew is successful. Let me know if you need any help.

Our church built a new pavilion primarily for the Stew. Here are some pics from last October's Stew.

Me Stirring.
stirring.jpg

BeerGuy
rick2.jpg

My dad and BeerGuy. Note the "new" pot in the rear with the big stand and stovepipe exhaust. That is the way to go! I'm not kidding. The smoke is a killer. When you have 7 open fires going you just cant get away from the smoke and it wears you out. I acquired that new setup last year and we are going to mod all the others the same way.
rickanddad2.jpg

Adding butter
addingmargerine.jpg

quarting.jpg

Frankspot.jpg

Adding sugar.
addingsugar.jpg

That is totally substantial! We really need more of that. Thank You.

Thank you Brauma for all the information. Looks like I will be getting some use out of my kettle now. Over in Indiana they take a 55 gallon drum with tiop cut out to sit pot in with a propane jet burner inside to fry chicken.

Pigman, I know you told me that you will build your stew over an open fire. That's good.

You can make Brunswick Stew over a propane fire, but it wont taste quite the same as over a real fire. The smoke comes up & over the lip of the pot and kisses the stew thus giving it flavor (and blessings from the fire gods). We use mostly oak.

Here in my county there is another group who make Brunswick Stew over propane. I've tasted it and can tell that something is missing. Yes, it's good and it tastes like stew, but something is definitely lacking.

If you guys use my mom's old Brunswick Stew recipe, you MUST cook it over an open fire. Using this recipe over propane will be considered a direct insult to my mom and I'll personally come to your town and swing a size 11 Redwing up your arse! :boxing: :becky:

Thanks again for all the kind words. Enjoy.

ok, i'm sold.. where do i sign?
man you can't go wrong with all that. But, what spices do you use along with all those ingredients? anything other than salt and pepper? Anything spicy? Usually anything that looks anything like that - cooked down south is nice and spicy! :biggrin:

Also, why "One stick of margarine in each pot"?? Why not butter, and what does one stick do to 20 gallons of food? Just curious, im a big "butter" fan.

Monty, not to hijack a thread, but Saiko has one of if not the best recipe
I've ever seen for Brunswick Stew and it's here in brethren:

Brauma, Beerguy, great pics and looks like a wonderful tradition!!!

Last edited:
Brauma- do you think you will still get the "smokey goodness" using a chimney? BTW- that looks like the cast innards out of an old furnace. I have one of those down by the creek that we use for a corn roast every year.

As far as the margarine goes: I asked my dad about that once. He simply said "Thats the way mama wrote out the recipe, so thats what we do".

I wondered about real butter too. But I'll keep doing it the way mama made it. :wink:

LOL, don't mess with a good thing :thumb: That looks absolutely fabulous!!

Great thread.

The way I learned to make Brunswick Stew was to use the leftover BBQ. Any of the meat that is left over goes in the pot with all the veggies (see we BBQers eat our vegetables). The smoked meat helps to add flavor to the pot.

I think there are as many ways to make as there are BBQers.

Brauma- do you think you will still get the "smokey goodness" using a chimney? BTW- that looks like the cast innards out of an old furnace. I have one of those down by the creek that we use for a corn roast every year.

I have thought of that and I'm torn. The pipe takes away most of the smoke but not all. We are going to have to make a test run or so before we get too carried away. But I'm tellin ya, the smoke from 7 open fires is intense. You have to stir those pots non-stop for 6 hours and it really gets to you. Maybe there's a compromise in the design somewhere.

Back