• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Score the box of chicken

BRBBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well wanted to give this a try, this is my first attempt at at the box and chicken, rate away.

Attachments

• chicken 001.jpg
    chicken 001.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 300
While I'm not trying to pay any attention to the garnish, I can't help but be a little distracted by it. The chicken is a 7, borderline 8. It looks a little too saucy.

I too am distracted by the excess of garnish. The pieces could be a little more uniform in size. I like the color, but seems to be very glossy (which could be just the pic). Solid 7, but if the chicken was closer to the same size, an 8.

^^^^^^ This. Also, I don't like the looks of the black splotches(??). This could be due to the lighting, but if it is due to the spices, then they need to be more uniformally distributed. You're in the 7/8 range, but the lighting makes it tougher to judge.

I think if you turn the chicken vertical you can fit 9 pieces in there, 3 across, 3 rows

I too am distracted by the excess of garnish. The pieces could be a little more uniform in size. I like the color, but seems to be very glossy (which could be just the pic). Solid 7, but if the chicken was closer to the same size, an 8.

^^^^^^ This. Also, I don't like the looks of the black splotches(??). This could be due to the lighting, but if it is due to the spices, then they need to be more uniformally distributed. You're in the 7/8 range, but the lighting makes it tougher to judge.
I agree with the above. The sauce doesn't look finished (cooked) and heavy, the garnish is distracting instead of supporting, and I would have liked a more uniform color. I'd say 7/8.

BTW, I found that if I didn't clean my smoker lid good enough I would end up with those same black spots... It could be seasoning on your part but it wasn't for me...

Great shot on your first try!:clap2:!:clap2:!:clap2:

You got enough garnish in there for 3 boxes.

If your gonna use small thighs, fill the box with 9 pieces.

7/8 but nice job for first time out! :thumb:

I would give it a 7. Would have been higher WITHOUT the garnish. Garnish isn't supposed to help the score, but it can sure lower it easily. Cut it WAY back and get the meat sitting up.

Black marks, a little uneveness and two thighs much darker than the others.

7 in my opinion. Fix the garnish, and add more meat. I'm not a fan of the char marks, and there appears to be a bit too much sauce.

Good advice from all!
Some things I've learned the hard way on turn in boxes:
1) You want the meat to be in the spotlight - If you open the box and your eye is drawn to anything but the meat first, start over.
2) There should not be any garnish hanging out of the edges of the box.
3) Think of the garnish like the frame on a beautiful painting, it should compliment it or hardly be noticeable at all... see #1
4) Uniformity of the meat is important, think of it this way, if you're at a buddy's house and both of you are going back for another thigh and only 2 are left, 1 small and 1 extra large, one of you is gonna feel robbed cuz you got the small 1... don't make the judges feel like they're getting ripped off by having to settle for the small one.
5) While too much garnish is bad, you do want to have enough in the box to 1) help hold the meat in place. 2) Raise the meat up so that it doesn't look like it's sitting in a hole, but more of a platform or pedestal.

While I am certainly not a CBJ, I would give myself a 6 if that was my box for reasons stated above.

As for glaze/apperance of the chicken, black spots/uniformity of color, keep in mind that when you or I cook food, we know why it looks the way it does (i.e. too dark cuz a temp spike or too heavy smoke etc...) but the judge is only guessing if they try to speculate on why it looks the way it does, or why "that one looks different from the others, did they mean to put it in there??"

Believe me, I've made some real dumb mistakes (like turning in sliced breast (was incredible stuff IMO) and then adding 2 drums, 2 thighs and 2 wings. Not only was the box too full and akward looking, but the judges are supposed to take a piece of each type of meat offered, so really I needed sliced breast and 6 drums, 6 thighs and 6 wings for it to work properly... :rolleyes:)

Thanks for sharing your thighs! :shocked: Keep trying! Look forward to seeing your next attempt!

Side note, something I plan on doing this year is taking pics of my turn in boxes, never done it before but I realize it's more important than I might have thought...

While I didn't have any boxes to pack my practice thighs in (and they are not uniform in size since I was only practicing the overall cook and glazing) - I hope I'm able to duplicate thighs like these this summer...

On the pellet pooper for 5 hrs.

DSC07042Large.jpg

And that skin bites right thru!! You can even see the bite marks! :becky:

DSC07047Large.jpg

I figured after posting I had sunk the chicken in the garnish, when I shut the lid I had sauce on top, a little high in the box. The skin was like a chicken baked in the oven, no crispness, reminded me of a turkey skin under foil. I'll have to read Pauls instructions again. Thanks for comments,

Good advice from all!
Some things I've learned the hard way on turn in boxes:
1) You want the meat to be in the spotlight - If you open the box and your eye is drawn to anything but the meat first, start over.
2) There should not be any garnish hanging out of the edges of the box.
3) Think of the garnish like the frame on a beautiful painting, it should compliment it or hardly be noticeable at all... see #1
4) Uniformity of the meat is important, think of it this way, if you're at a buddy's house and both of you are going back for another thigh and only 2 are left, 1 small and 1 extra large, one of you is gonna feel robbed cuz you got the small 1... don't make the judges feel like they're getting ripped off by having to settle for the small one.
5) While too much garnish is bad, you do want to have enough in the box to 1) help hold the meat in place. 2) Raise the meat up so that it doesn't look like it's sitting in a hole, but more of a platform or pedestal.

While I am certainly not a CBJ, I would give myself a 6 if that was my box for reasons stated above.

As for glaze/apperance of the chicken, black spots/uniformity of color, keep in mind that when you or I cook food, we know why it looks the way it does (i.e. too dark cuz a temp spike or too heavy smoke etc...) but the judge is only guessing if they try to speculate on why it looks the way it does, or why "that one looks different from the others, did they mean to put it in there??"

Believe me, I've made some real dumb mistakes (like turning in sliced breast (was incredible stuff IMO) and then adding 2 drums, 2 thighs and 2 wings. Not only was the box too full and akward looking, but the judges are supposed to take a piece of each type of meat offered, so really I needed sliced breast and 6 drums, 6 thighs and 6 wings for it to work properly... :rolleyes:)

Thanks for sharing your thighs! :shocked: Keep trying! Look forward to seeing your next attempt!

Side note, something I plan on doing this year is taking pics of my turn in boxes, never done it before but I realize it's more important than I might have thought...

While I didn't have any boxes to pack my practice thighs in (and they are not uniform in size since I was only practicing the overall cook and glazing) - I hope I'm able to duplicate thighs like these this summer...

On the pellet pooper for 5 hrs.

DSC07042Large.jpg

And that skin bites right thru!! You can even see the bite marks! :becky:

DSC07047Large.jpg
Nice looking:thumb:

Pretty good looking box...I probably give it an 8(maybe a 7).
Having said that, the leaf lettuce part of the garnish is a bit spastic. The chicken does not dominate the box enough. Either use bigger pieces, or more of them. Sauce may be a bit gloppy, but hard to tell for sure unless its in person. I would try to get the diagonal char marks to go the same direction. Lastly, although I know that is easier said than done, try to be a bit more consistent on size of thighs. Again, nice job for a first box.

Back