Chicken wings low and slow?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I know conventional wisdom says cook wings hotter and faster to crisp up the skin, but has a one tried and or still does do low n slow with good results? I'm guessing the skin would still not be very crisp, but maybe the high fat content of wings would benefit from a longer render?

Thoughts?

I tried it a while ago on my wsm and the two things i remeber was one it was extremely smokey and second was you hinted was the skin was very rubbery.

You could cook them long enough to render the fat, but the skin won't get crispy. If you want more smoke flavor, you can go low for a while then ramp up the temp to finish cooking and crisp the skin.

Perhaps a reverse sear? Or smoke a while then finish in a hot oven? 400*. As much as I love to smoke I must say the oven has been my go-to for wangs lately, one hour@400 flipping halfway thru turns out some kick a$$ wings. Texture mimics that of fried without being fried, toss em in buffalo hot sauce and devour! You could easily kiss em with smoke for a half hour then finish em in the hot oven for nice crispy skin.

Speaking of wings, I just remembered I had some thawing in he sink from last night... CHIT!!! :doh:

When I do wings I usually smoke them low around 200* for an hour for smoke! then crank it up to 400* or so for 15-20 minutes or so, or until the Thermapen reads about 170*. Very juicy and flavorful and some smoke flavor too. This is in my pellet grill, so depending on the cooker the direct time and temp may need to be adjusted.

At my house chicken gets grilled. I've tried a variety of low temp chicken. The best stuff smoked at high temps so I don't bother with it. My dog loves when I try low slow chicken cuz he gets to eat most of it.

I go around 350* for wings and they come out perfect every time.

Last weekend my buddy did them at 250* for about 1.5 hours and the skin was tough as heck. Let's just say I like mine better.

Definitely an advantage of the UDS from my old offset. With the offset, we rubberized our first batch, but I'm stubborn and love wings so we tried some other things. The next time, I smoked for an hour 275-290 and I was going to put them in the oven and the wife suggested frying- they came out great. Finishing off in the oven or grill works too. One time I went Accidental Tourist and soaked them with teriyaki right off the pit and forgot about them for an hour messing with the fire on some baby backs. When I grilled them up, they were killer.

The UDS is a breeze. We just go with the season of the moment, run about 250 for 1- 1.5 hours, pull 'em off for a buffalo bath, back on for 15 minutes and they're amazing. That direct drip on the coals is unstoppable.

Back