Maiden Rib Cook On UDS

DjPorkchop

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So after the wife saw the beef ribs that were posted a few days ago, she decided I was smoking ribs (pork) Friday and cooking Bludawg's Mac & Cheese

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170196

Now I am curious, do you guys/gals use the 3-2-1 method or just feel it out? I really hate to ruin good ribs and her not want me to cook them anymore. I pretty much have the rub worked out and the sauce that is going to be used. ( a dry rack for me :icon_wink )

I have watched youtube videos, read blogs and all. I really am thinking that I am over thinking it and just need to go for it. So far all I have managed to get on the UDS have been some keilbasa and a naked fatty and some moinks that never made it in the house for pr0n.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated and Carrie would love ya's all to pieces!

Take care!

Ray

Last edited:
321 is too long unless you like them overcooked. I run them straight through 3 to 4 hours. And then sauce he last half hour or so if so desired. That's my personal preference. Others will foil after 2 hours or so for an hour and then firm them back up for half hour to hour. I like the texture of no foil myself. Try them both and see what you prefer.

I appreciate the reply.

I had pondered to wrap or not and all that good stuff. Instinct tells me to keep a toothpick handy and give it the old probe test when I start seeing pullback on the bones.

And no, I do not like them over cooked or fall off the bone done lol. I prefer tug tender and be able to see where my teeth took the bite.

In my opinion, for whatever that might be worth, Ribs are the hardest bbq meat to get consistently perfect. Yes... even harder than brisket... but that's just my experience. Learning how to tell when they are ready to pull off the grill is the key. The toothpick test is my favorite as you mentioned, but they are far from ready when the meat just starts to pull back off the bones. I have used the 3-2-1 method several times with good success but that does require a 225 degree cooking temp for the most part. I like to cook a little hotter than that and get them done in 4 to 5 hours.

Getting them done in a 4-5 hour range would be real nice actually.

And I did fail to mention that I plan on using the top cooking rack on the UDS that is 3" from the top of barrel. I have no diffuser in place. I have no problem popping a million holes in a cheapo pizza pan if needs be.

I don't have a UDS (yet) but when I do ribs I foil only when I get the color I like or I think they have enough smoke. Roughly foil for an hour with some apple butter and the meat side of the rib down in the butter. Found that here and wow is it good! Some like more smoke, some like less. But either way, I like the bend test a bit more than probing. When the ribs bend almost to the point of breaking in half you'll still have some nice tug to the bite and they will still be tender as can be.
The time will also depend on the temp you cook at. What temp does your UDS run at best?

I don't have a UDS (yet) but when I do ribs I foil only when I get the color I like or I think they have enough smoke. Roughly foil for an hour with some apple butter and the meat side of the rib down in the butter. Found that here and wow is it good! Some like more smoke, some like less. But either way, I like the bend test a bit more than probing. When the ribs bend almost to the point of breaking in half you'll still have some nice tug to the bite and they will still be tender as can be.
The time will also depend on the temp you cook at. What temp does your UDS run at best?

I can easily run it between 225 and 250. Last weekend I ran it for 5 or 6 hours and I only touched a ball valve maybe 2 times and it was a very minimal adjustment.

As far as foil goes, I know the wife will not eat anything that looks like it is starting to turn black. She likes that real nice paprika mahagony looking color (as do I).

I saw a fella last night on a video demonstrating the bend test. He picked his rack of ribs up and it bent real nice with an ever so slight crack in the bark. He let them rest and cut them up.

Following DjPorkchops advice is a good thing. Not meaning in any way the others have steered you wrong...just that MY advice was going to be along DJ's until I noticed he already typed what I was gonna say. Lol.

I use the 3-2-1 method for the most part, but only as a BASE guideline. If the ribs need to go three hours, I'll let them, but usually they don't. As he stated...I wrap when I get the color and smoke that I want for them. My wrap time runs between 1.5 to 2 hours depending on temps and other factors. I use the bend test as he explained... and whether or not I'm using naked or wet ribs determine the final "hour" on. That's my input at least.

Not an expert at all so take this with a grain of salt but I have stopped foiling basically because I,m lazy but when I first did it I really liked the bark and taste I got from not wrapping.

Ok so here is the skinny on what is going on. The wife and I got up first thing this morning and ran to town to buy all the essentials. I picked up 2 racks of spares and she said to grab one more. :shock: but :-D !So 3 it was.

So I trimmed the 3 racks of spares down to St Louis cuts and they are now on the UDS at 225 give or take a few. I then came back in the house and started in on my Lumberjack Fatty. What is a lumberjack fatty you ask? I'll tell ya! The lumberjack is a sausage link wrapped in a maple syrup pancake on a stick like a corn dog. I removed the stick, stuck it in the fatty and on the smoker she went.

Before i pull the ribs and fatty, I will then toss on my MOINKS!

Beer and Pr0n to follow! I got the before, I am now very impatiently waiting for the afters. :wink:

I think it depends on the cooker and temp, but with my WSM 18 @275 -300. I usually go 2 /1.5 / 0.5 for BBs. I check the rack to make sure they're ready before they get wrapped. Then I foil with Apple juice. Each rack does it's own thang and you have to feel it out. More art than science. Then unfoil, and let it set.

Back