Thread: any ideas?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqjoe
And just wait until the health dept. finds out he is selling food that was prepared off site at an unlicensed facility.
I didn't even want to start that discussion!!

Quote:
If I got a catering license would that take care of that issue? I've been thinking about starting to do some bbq catering and I would like to sell some more Q out of this butcher shop.

Joe, I've been getting mixed feelings from people about opening a bbq restaurant how do you like it? I am just looking to do something that gets me out of the cube world and everyone seems to dig on my bbq.
A catering "license" won't cover you...you need the kitchen, mobile food service trailer and/or commissary to be fully covered. Of course, it depends on where you live...some areas are pretty lax. Usually your business license is different than the county/state health certificate which is your "pass" to sell.

I don't own a que joint, but I ran a Luby's cafeteria for a while...it's hard work no matter how you cut it. I think it's worth it and I'm hoping eventually to have my own place. First, save up money - I'm so undercapitalized it isn't funny - I knew it to start and so managed to get my cooker and other stuff used for both catering and competition paid for last year....I still don't have a trailer and such so most of my catering is for churches where work under their health certificate.

You can't run a restaurant, que or otherwise, with home equipment and especially with backyard que gear. A commercial cooker, that will pass health inspection can run from about $4K for something around the size of a FEC100 up to $15-25K for a Southern Pride, Jack's Old South Commercial, Jedsmoker, etc. If you're doing mobile service a rigged trailer with appropriate cooker(s) will run $27-whatever you can afford.

I'm not trying to discourage ya!! Do the research in your area and see what and where the need is. Investigate doing mobile (side of the road) food service, rents for a brick and mortar place, or catering out of your own place...what I tell you can be way off due to health codes, market pressure, etc. and I think Joe will back me up!!

I just noticed your from the Nashville, TN area and I know you've got competition around there. Everybody and their aunt cooks bbq - it's probably a tough market. I think Arlie Bragg "Arlieque" works that area and I know he's done some CMA gigs.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote