Lamb in the oven (Pic heavy)

antoant

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The wood oven that is. This a semi traditional cook my dad and I did this past weekend for family and friends.

So here we go. First you have to light up a wood fire in the oven using any wood you want. Traditionally olive and carob wood is used, we used olive and pine.
DSC01574.JPG

There are three ways to tell if your oven has reached the proper temperature. Use a thermometer, too scientific, throw a glass bottle in the oven to see if it melts, too cool or you check out the "brow" of the oven.

Not ready yet
oWnac6P98ibN41U60ROQGA
DSC01577.JPG

Ready to go
i9RMK8w4Kv0zrXwmeLQ-ag
DSC01583.JPG

Once you reach hell like temps and you have all embers from your fire, you spread the embers out and you are ready to put the food in the oven.
yRcyPkHI78QgaNtrM-jQAg
DSC01588.JPG

We used lamb shoulder and leg but you can really use any part of the lamb or goat you want as long as the animal is one year old or older. (The older the better, no point wasting baby lamb for a long cook). Add some potatoes and onions for taste and season with celery leaves, black pepper, salt and dry oregano. The traditional way would be to put the food in serving portions in wax paper poaches or in baskets made out of carob tree branches but you get a mess in the oven from all the juices so ....
AZeQ3oxDEn7C_HlN6Zr54w
DSC01582.JPG

Seal up the oven and wait for 4-5-6-7-8 hours. Only experience can tell you when to break the seal.
lNDvNCKOdK7kblxyVRWtxg
DSC01620.JPG

Five hours later and after breaking the seal the oven still holds temps over 200
DSC01630.JPG

iwxRKKUgfd_GShznAZxO9Q
iwxRKKUgfd_GShznAZxO9Q
And finally the finished product with the side dishes. (Some greens with pomegranate, walnuts, ricotta style cheese and balsamic vinaigrette along with some saganaki and potatoes from the oven.)
kDJswYoOaN8tQsF0girXcw
DSC01633.JPG

Thank you for looking.

i just bit my screen! when you say oven you ain't messing around! that food looks great. i would love to put one of those in my yard. if you pop it right onto the coals, don't it burn during those long times though. what's next?

Looks great. I'm curious as to what type of pine you use.The pine we have here is not worth a dang for cooking.

wow. great pics and explanations! (this is a traditional oven in cyprus?

ALFTickofApproval.gif

Ding Ding Ding Ding...

Call to order... Congratulations ANTOANT. You are the 5th Brethren to recieve the Prestigious ALF Tick of Approval.

To see Lamb cooked in such a traditional Cypriot manner brings a tear to my eye. I'm hoping you can grace us with many more recipes and photo's.

This slow cook Lamb is truly inspiring! Well Done!

Cheers!

Bill

When you say break the seal, you really mean break the seal!!

That lamb looks so delicious....and your pictures are super!

Back