• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Low and slow vs hot and fast

lennitt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Do you get the same amount of smoke on a brisket cooked hot for a shorter time as slow at lower temp? I cannot figure out how you would but want to try 275 vs the 225 I usually use.

Not to get too picky, but some dont consider 275 hot n fast, but another version of low n slow, just not too low nor unnecessarily slow.

For me, my smoker doesn't really do well under 240. But from 240 to say 280 give or take it's all sweet blue...

With me, I find what my cooker cooks best at. I can easily keep my smoker between 275 and 300. So I cook at that temp. It is much tougher for me to keep it at 225. If I had a pit that held 225 easy but I had to fight it to get to 275 I would cook at 225. Just comfort with the cooker. If your doing 225 and enjoying it I don't see a reason to change.

Depending on the smoker 225 can be too low. The hotter the fire the better smoke and better taste.

My flavor has improved cooking Hot 300+ and is by no means lacking.

back to the OP question....I try to put a lot of smoke to a hot and fast brisket early in the cooking. I do think some hot and fast briskets lack the smoke flavor...but I have also had some that did not. I think you can also use a stronger wood for Hot and fast. I am not a fan of mesquite but it works for these type of cooks. IMO

I just did my first hot and fast butt yesterday. No difference noted regarding texture or smoke. I didn't foil and it had a great exterior bark

I usually do a slow start of 200-225 until about half way done then finish off at 325 which really renders the fat into a nice crusty bark. This puts the smoke in the meat better with the initial low starting temp.

It all depends on what type of cooker you are using, pellet poopers lose their smoke flavor the higher you go, while stick burners are fairly consistent. I cook at 275 and have no problems getting smoke into the meats.

At first I smoked everything at 225 with great results.As time went on I would find that it was hard to keep the lower temp. So now I let my cooker find its temp. Most of the time it is around 275 to 325. I have not noticed any difference in taste. Just faster cook times and a lot less trying to chase a particular temp.

I cook both low and slow and hot and fast depending on how I feel or how much time I have. Sometimes with low and slow if you use smoke the whole cook food can get over smoked. I've never had a problem with to much smoke using hot and fast.

I've always thought that "low and slow" gave better flavor but I also like the bark and shorter cook time that higher temps give, so I do both!
With a brisket for example, I start at 250 for the first three hours as generally the meat will take in all of the smoke that it will during that period of time and the rest of the cook is really about cooking the meat and getting the color and texture that you want on the bark. So after the first three hours I crank the heat up to 300 or so to finish the cook, there is very little or no stall, the bark gets a nice crunchy texture and the flavor is great. Best of both worlds!:-D

Not that anyone wants to believe it but meat takes on smoke as long as its in the smoke.

Now the ring formation that stops at a point, but you can put smoke into something until its too much, how would that be possible if it magically stopped taking smoke?

I personally like a kiss of smoke, not a heavy smoke. but each their own, i believe the hotter cook temps, the cleaner the fire the better the flavor, but if you are one who like the heavy smoke then you may notice a difference.

like was mentioned ways to do everything, a stronger wood will then be required to give the same smoke flavor.

best way is to try a few and see for yourself. nothing wrong with either way or a combination, just enjoy cooking and trying new things.

Here's an interesting article about smoke and it's effect on meat. Scroll down to the heading "Smoke And Food".
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html
As the article points out, smoke does continue to collect on the surface of the meat as long as there is moisture present but as for actual "penetration" there is very little. The smokiness of BBQ is really in the bark, not deep into the meat.:-D

I've never been a big fan of "smoking" as i'm a huge charcoal guy & don't have the time for those 3 hour+ cooks but i'll light some charcoal up, wait 30 minutes for it to be ready than i always start with chicken 1st, my charcoal grill has 3 seperate vents so to control the fire i'll close 1 vent if not the chicken will burn or flareups will occur from it being to hot. I've never been 1 to keep opening the lid so i just flip all the chicken at 1 time than it's done with the most important thing being the food is cooked all the way through, after chick comes pork ribs or steak with beef ribs being the finale with the fire being just right! I would love for someone to direct me to some drawings of charcoal grills as i'm looking to have a new 1 designed but nothing huge more like something 3 slabs of ribs can fit on.

Do you get the same amount of smoke on a brisket cooked hot for a shorter time as slow at lower temp? I cannot figure out how you would but want to try 275 vs the 225 I usually use.
Hotter fires generally burn cleaner, with less smoke. With that said I like a lot of smoke on my brisket and I start my cook at the 235 - 250 temp range and cook for the first three hours or so and then I crank the heat up to 275 - 300 to finish it.
This method gives the best of both worlds, more smoke and shorter cook with very little stall.:-D

I don't think you are going to find a huge difference with temps (unless your fire is dirty, and you don't want that smoke flavor anyway). You can only get so much smoke penetration into the brisket. If you want more smokiness, you might consider changing the wood you cook with. For example, hickory is a bit more pungent than cherry or apple. I cook mine around 325 and they always come out great. I have stopped cooking them at lower temps pretty much all together. I also don't rub mine anymore with anything but a bit of salt and pepper so there isn't a thick rub preventing smoke penetration, but each to their own.

My smoker likes to run in the 300-325 range, so I cook at 300-325. I can ramp it up to 450-500.
I get a good smoke ring, excellent flavor and done in 2/3 the time.

I always wondered if it was truly better to smoke in the 225-250 range. I think I'm going to start cooking higher on my WSM and see how it comes out. I mean honestly who wants to wait 12-14 hours if they don't have too.

Back