40 lbs of pork to go - how would you?

C

chachahut

I have a customer wanting to pick up 40 lbs of pork for a party. Asked if I had chafing racks to keep it hot - I said yes. I sell the wire ones from Sam's Club with sterno - usually also include a quick read therm to monitor.

I've done 4 - 10 lbs take outs , but this is a new one. Would be interested in any suggestions of how to send 40 lbs of hot pork out the door. Gotta keep it fairly easy for the customer to handle so a lot of re-heating is a bit out of the question.

Looking forward to any advice.

thanks,

Is there a local party rental in your area? If so I would suggest the customer rent a cambro, they go for $22.50 per day here in my area. The customer shows up with it and you put in the hot meat and it stays hot. Then they deal with returning it.

DUH!

I actually have a couple cambros. Don't know why I did not think of leaving one & picking it up/having customer return after party.

As a follow up - what size pan would you send. In the past (with sub-20# orders) I've used disposable 1/2 trays. That seems like WAY too many for 40#. The foil full tray steam pans cold be used if I jury rig the wire chafing set up but I'm a bit concerned about explaining that to the customer.

1/2 trays are great becasuse there eaiser to handle for people & you still fit the same amount of food in cambor wether its a 1/2 of full. 1/2 pans also fit well in most refrigerators rather than full, IF there are leftovers. 40 lsb isn't really that much so i would stick to 1/2's. thats what we normally do unless a full pan was requested, or we're serving on site.

If you dont mind me asking-do you just slide the disposable pans (half or whole) in the Cambro as they are and are they strong enough to support themselves or do you place them inside a hotel pan first?

1/2 trays are great becasuse there eaiser to handle for people & you still fit the same amount of food in cambor wether its a 1/2 of full. .
Not true - you can get more in a full pan than 2 half pans.

If you dont mind me asking-do you just slide the disposable pans (half or whole) in the Cambro as they are and are they strong enough to support themselves or do you place them inside a hotel pan first?
better have hotel pans or good lids and stack right on top of each other, Sides of foil steam pans will not hold the weight of meat.

Unless you know them well I would get a deposit on my cambro before I let anyone use it.

No the disposables will not support themselves for me.

Are you charging extra for all the thoughtful service your offering? :becky:

I would also just use full pans with lids, probably take 3.

I sell it in disposable steam pans. Not my issue after that unless they want to pay to have it catered.

We always use one full pan (or two half pans) inside another full pan for cambro storage. Plenty sturdy enough as long as you dont overload the meat.

I would agree to use a sturdy pan underneath the foils, but as others said, may want to get a deposit on the cambro (and the stainless pans). Half pans are nice for the customer too because often it's easier to keep the meat warm without it drying out if it's not consumed fast enough from a whole pan on a buffet line.

Back