First time Moinks

SmokenIdaho

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am making Moinks tomorrow for the first time any suggestions from the Master's?

There is a substantive science to MOINK making and I am not IMBAS certified but I will offer what works for me.

1. Always works better for me if I let the meatball sit out a little bit before I wrap them so that the toothpick doesn't break.

2. I don't use maple bacon. I like hickory smoked or just plain bacon. I like thick cut and usually avoid peppered, etc. so I can add my own rubs.

3. Depending on the rasher, you'll need 1/3 to 1/2 a rasher per meatball.

4. Once wrapped (feel free to do the wrapping in advance), sprinkly them liberally with the rub of your choice. To me, this makes the MOINK.

5. Smoke at the temp of your choice. I typically do them at 225 or 250 for 60 to 90 minutes. I smoke until the bacon is crispy. You want to avoid turning the meatball into kryptonite.

6. About 15m before they are done. Take them off the fire and toss them in a bowl with your favorite bbq sauce if desired. Return them to the smoker and let the sauce set. I don't like mine too saucy - based on photos I have seen, some like them plenty saucy.

That's all the advice I have. Good news is that MOINKs are hard to screw up. And note, it is spelled in ALL CAPS. Larry is watching.

Last edited:
Do you use regular meatballs or Italian meatballs. I've done some with regular meat and wasn't very pleased!

All excellent advice there ^^^, good luck!
Once you go MOINK, you'll never go back!
Hooked for life, you'll be for sure!

The only advice I can offer is make twice as many than you think you need. After you do that, you still won't have enough :)

Back