Rib racks

Norcoredneck

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Does anyone use the rib racks that come with the Bandera?

I did a couple of weeks ago. I'm about as green as it gets when it comes to smoking, but it seemed to work great!

(But really, what do I know?)

Actually, if you check out my thread about my wife's B-day, you can see them sitting in the middle of that 'Dera.

Most of us agree that they suck. Try some after market ones. The best ones are the ones that Dave Klose makes. I have some that RonL got me and they work great too.

sajones97 said:
YEEEEOWCH!

(Um, yeah. What Bigdog said. Duh. Everyone knows that...:oops:)

SA, in no way was Dog being pretentious when he said that.

When he said "most people", he just meant those of us that over the years have tried to weave, support, or otherwise straddle racks of ribs on these racks, only to open the door to find your ribs have fallen out and landed in the water pan, agree that they suck.

Others use them successfully time and time again.

I think they are definitely for spares only, for I cannot get a rack of bbacks to stay on them for anything.

But I don't use my Bandera as much as some of these guys here.

And my sausage hooks have gone completely unused :shock:

Bigdog said:
Most of us agree that they suck. Try some after market ones. The best ones are the ones that Dave Klose makes. I have some that RonL got me and they work great too.

I got two of the Klose ones when they first came out. Good design and very heavy duty. Rocky Richmond has 7 left that he is trying to get rid of. He wants $195 which includes shipping.

http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2175

He is a good dude and will most likely cut a deal on smaller quantities. Phone number is on the site.

willkat98 said:
SA, in no way was Dog being pretentious when he said that.

When he said "most people", he just meant those of us that over the years have tried to weave, support, or otherwise straddle racks of ribs on these racks, only to open the door to find your ribs have fallen out and landed in the water pan, agree that they suck.

Others use them successfully time and time again.

I think they are definitely for spares only, for I cannot get a rack of bbacks to stay on them for anything.

But I don't use my Bandera as much as some of these guys here.

And my sausage hooks have gone completely unused :shock:

LMAO. BillKat, diplomat. :biggrin:

But he's right, SA: you'll probably find that the racks do suck a bit and you'll ask what the experienced guys use instead. Until then, smoke on and learn how it goes!

Arlin

Arlin_MacRae said:
LMAO. BillKat, diplomat. :biggrin:

But he's right, SA: you'll probably find that the racks do suck a bit and you'll ask what the experienced guys use instead. Until then, smoke on and learn how it goes!

Arlin

I went back and looked at the pics SA references. It looks like a rack of beef ribs sit in there nicely.

Maybe thats what they are intended for?

The rib racks and the sausage racks for mine are either under it in some leaves or buried in the bottom of the gas grill compartments. I do like the look of the Klose racks however. I currently use a couple of the rib & potato racks I picked up at Home Depot.

I've never used the stock Bandera rib racks. They look like they ought to make some pretty decent heavy-duty springs though; so I haven't thrown them away.

what I use for rib racks are recycled office file holders. Remember the old dot matrix printer trays? Properly bent, they work good too.

Norcoredneck said:
Does anyone use the rib racks that come with the Bandera?

I do not use the rib racks for ribs. I use the grates for ribs. Go figure.

That being said:
1) I have never used the sausage/poultry hooks either. I kept them for a while, thinking I would find a use. So I moved them from this spot to that spot, and finally moved them to thr trash.

2) I am not sure that we all try to use the rib racks in their designed manner. It looked to me like they were not intended to 'thread' racks through them, but to rather set the two racks parallel and set 4 or 5 racks perpendicular in the resulting "U U U U" created by the two parralel racks.

I think I tossed the rib racks with the sausage hooks. A Shame really, good steel to waste, certainly the most sturdy part of a stock Bandera.

I got my rib racks from William Sonoma. I still can't decide if I like them or not. Sometimes I think they work great and other times I just want to throw them in the trash.

I guess I will just have to keep cooking ribs until I can decide.

BBQ_MAFIA said:
I got my rib racks from William Sonoma. I still can't decide if I like them or not. Sometimes I think they work great and other times I just want to throw them in the trash.

I guess I will just have to keep cooking ribs until I can decide.

Ah, what a pity. I'm always available to come help you decide if they work or not. :biggrin:

G$ said:
I have never used the sausage/poultry hooks either.

I used them a couple of time for smoke-drying tobbacco.

They can also be used to smoke-dry laundry. I find that the smokiness is best preserved in sweatshirts fresh out of the washer, smoke-drien then vacuum packed.

I used the Bandera rib racks for a while after I first got it, then I found the Williams Sonoma racks on sale and bought and started using those. With the Bandera rib racks, I always put a rack underneath just in case the ribs fell out.

My bigger issue with the Bandera is that the smoke chamber is too small to put babybacks across without hitting the back wall or the door or both.

Which was a handy excuse to use in convincing myself to order the Klose MasterChef which is now only 10 weeks away!

Have had same experience with racks. Just asked to see if it took more brains than I have to operate. Thanks

smokinbadger said:
I used the Bandera rib racks for a while after I first got it, then I found the Williams Sonoma racks on sale and bought and started using those. With the Bandera rib racks, I always put a rack underneath just in case the ribs fell out.

My bigger issue with the Bandera is that the smoke chamber is too small to put babybacks across without hitting the back wall or the door or both.

Which was a handy excuse to use in convincing myself to order the Klose MasterChef which is now only 10 weeks away!
I like the way you think. Welcome to the sickness bro.

smokinbadger said:

And to think I just wipe down the walls of my 'Dera when that happens. Boy do I need to get with the program!

Back