• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I can get a 22.5 weber floormodel from HD for $45. It doesn't come with a top grate or a charcoal catch between the legs. In whole it's banged up and the lid has a little rust around the edges. I'm really only buying it for the donor lid. Can't seem to find one. Good price or no??? Thanks in advance.

I'd say no. I bought 2 of the wally world chargriller's complete for 25.00 ea.I got the lid as well as the grate.

Just to let everybody know, I'm a certified newbie on this forum. Just registered three days ago and started reading the UDS thread (and I'm not yet done reading everything... am still on the 77th page out of 287!!) and as I read the 1,148th post courtesy of the ever so helpful and informative Norcoredneck, I was finally brought to this thread.

Very informative indeed and kudos to everyone who posted their ideas. You would never guess that an Asian like me (I'm from Manila, Philippines) will be interested in building a UDS just like the one posted by Norco. Indeed, I'm a Q lover and I've always been obsessed to learn to Q the proper way until I stumbled upon your thread. Reading a combine 91 pages for 2 days makes me feel "I BELONG" so to speak... LOL

To cut it short, I've done enough research and reading thanks to this thread again, and to the people behind it.... I got two 55 gallon drums already and it's ready for some drillin', weldin' and burnin'!! The other hardware parts are ready to be installed, grates, bolts and nuts and all, expanded metals and nipples. And lucky enough, good charcoals and your ever reliable smokin' wood chips are available in all HOME DEPOTS here.

NORCO, this is my very first UDS (and I'm quite sure you guys can't find anyone with a UDS in this part of the world except I guess for some US expats who are die-hard meat smokers themselves) and thanks to your very detailed tutorial I'll start smokin' soon!! Will post photos here and in the UDS thread soon. Wish me good luck guys...

JOHN

Just to let everybody know, I'm a certified newbie on this forum. Just registered three days ago and started reading the UDS thread (and I'm not yet done reading everything... am still on the 77th page out of 287!!) and as I read the 1,148th post courtesy of the ever so helpful and informative Norcoredneck, I was finally brought to this thread.

Very informative indeed and kudos to everyone who posted their ideas. You would never guess that an Asian like me (I'm from Manila, Philippines) will be interested in building a UDS just like the one posted by Norco. Indeed, I'm a Q lover and I've always been obsessed to learn to Q the proper way until I stumbled upon your thread. Reading a combine 91 pages for 2 days makes me feel "I BELONG" so to speak... :twisted:

To cut it short, I've done enough research and reading thanks to this thread again, and to the people behind it.... I got two 55 gallon drums already and it's ready for some drillin', weldin' and burnin'!! The other hardware parts are ready to be installed, grates, bolts and nuts and all, expanded metals and nipples. And lucky enough, good charcoals and your ever reliable smokin' wood chips are available in all HOME DEPOTS here.

NORCO, this is my very first UDS (and I'm quite sure you guys can't find anyone with a UDS in this part of the world except I guess for some US expats who are die-hard meat smokers themselves) and thanks to your very detailed tutorial I'll start smokin' soon!! Will post photos here and in the UDS thread soon. Wish me good luck guys...

JOHN

Uds help

Does it really matter what kind of drum you have as long as you burn it out?

Very informative indeed and kudos to everyone who posted their ideas. You would never guess that an Asian like me (I'm from Manila, Philippines) will be interested in building a UDS just like the one posted by Norco. Indeed, I'm a Q lover and I've always been obsessed to learn to Q the proper way until I stumbled upon your thread. Reading a combine 91 pages for 2 days makes me feel "I BELONG" so to speak... :twisted:

JOHN
Welcome to the world of UDS. You are not alone in this area, I live on Guam (just East of you). The UDS freaks people out here because they are used to using them for grilling here.

Where did you find them and is there a part #.

Try: www.arcticproducts.com. It probably has a part # but if you call(wow that would be long distance!!!!) and ask the kind folks there for the SS lid they will know.

Paul B

First post to the PH...............:biggrin:

Here are mine:

DSCF5296.jpg

Has anyone tried to use a Brinkmann charcoal pan in their UDS? You can get an aluminized one that supposedly holds 15 lbs of charcoal. I could drill it out and then mount it on some feet to get it off the bottom of the drum. Otherwise, my new UDS is done.

Has anyone tried to use a Brinkmann charcoal pan in their UDS? You can get an aluminized one that supposedly holds 15 lbs of charcoal. I could drill it out and then mount it on some feet to get it off the bottom of the drum. Otherwise, my new UDS is done.
How many times do I have to reply to myself before I can do a search? All this antispam stuff is a hassle. I just want to search for alternatives on building the fire box.

As far as the search use the google search at bottom of page. Little advice here, people are more than happy to help with suggestions. Members love this forum and take might take your post as an insult so have a little patience and enjoy and learn. It's a great place to learn.

Hi Norco! Just can't thank you enough for posting a how to build a UDS tutorial. I read your thread till the last page and followed every step you mentioned. And now my UDS is working perfectly and functioning like a horse.... I mentioned you and your thread in my blog as a sign of appreciation. More power to you....

Thanks. Just let it be known that the UDS is no one persons design. It has grown from ideas people have brought here, trial and error and sometimes civil debate. This thread is only my version of a UDS. This set up works for me every time. Of course within the main UDS thread there are lots of my ideas that don't get incorporated in the ones I build today. lots of ways to do the same thing. Most importantly is that you build it and learn to use what you have as each is a little different. Bragging rights over your own creation is worth the little cuts and scrapes while building them.

As far as the search use the google search at bottom of page. Little advice here, people are more than happy to help with suggestions. Members love this forum and take might take your post as an insult so have a little patience and enjoy and learn. It's a great place to learn.
Thanks for the tip. I did finally see the search at the bottom of the page. I'm on several forums that use this style of template and the search is usually on the tool bar up top. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I thought I had to reach a certain number of posts before I could use the search. I have been smoking stuff for a few years. I'm making the UDS as a gift for a friend. I only lack the fire box to make it complete. I think I"ll go to my local welding shop and take a look at his stock. I cannot find expanded steel at my local Home Depot. I think I"ll just leave it in flat grey primer, but paint some kind of logo on it. Probably a big orange tiger paw.

Thanks for the design tips. My friend will love this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back