loin ham

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
has anyone ever tried to make a ham out of a loin? if so how did it go? not looking for canadian bacon. more along the lines of something that could be sliced into cold cuts for sandwiches. thanks!!!
phil

No I haven't. I have cured and smoked a bunch of CB. I bring them out at an IT of 140. And then slice and fry. I think that if you fully cooked it (152 IT) it would be a bit on the dry side because it is so lean a cut. You might try curing and smoking the coppa bundle(money muscle). It makes some fine ham, fattier tho.
ham.jpg

Last edited:
I just made "buckboard bacon" with a piece of pork loin. Smoked it about 9 hours or so. Great smoke flavor.

Attachments

• Buckboard bacon02 cropped.jpg
    Buckboard bacon02 cropped.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Buckboard bacon03 cropped.jpg
    Buckboard bacon03 cropped.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 114
Every Christmas, I cook up pork loins ala Dizzy Pig's Canadian bacon recipe: http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBacon.html .

I trim the loin down to the eye muscle so that the brine fully penetrates to the center of the meat. (I save those trimmings for grinding.) I know you were not looking for a Canadian Bacon recipe, but this uses a cure. It is the cure that gives ham that hammy taste. If you were to cook a whole back leg of a hog without using a cure, it would taste like roast pork. It would not taste like the ham you were expecting.

I cook the loins to the higher temperature recommended in the recipe. The end product can be served cold for sandwiches. My three sons all agree it tastes better than ham.

Lager,

Juggy

Morton Salt has a good recipe for pea meal bacon. I use their recipe then slow smoke till done. Best Canadian bacon I ever had. The family looks forward to it at Christmas.

I have so many pork loins in the freezer right now, they're stacked like cord wood... They're just for makin' Canadian Bacon. Same thing as ham, just a bit leaner. Moist & tender if pulled @ ~150F, foiled and immediately chilled. Cheers!!!

try making some Lonzino ..

I have been making these for a couple of years now...
Very popular by family and friends..
Slice very thin and just a turn of the pepper mill on it.. mmmm..

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/lonzino.pdf

only thing I do different is - I do not stuff them in casings - but just put them in netting and hang them to dry.

here some of my results.. the ones hanging in the dryer are Lonzino.. (the ones laying on top are Bresaola - a cured, air dried beef !!)

Bresaola%20%26%20Lonzino.JPG

and here some sliced up Lonzino
HPIM0999_640x480.JPG

Looks great Garnaal, My first Bresaola and pancetta are going to dying stage this weekend...

I'll second bluetangs suggestion!

I did by accident last time I smoked a loin, had no intention of it and was kinda disappointed over it at first. but I now know that I can take a loin rub it with my pulled pork rub, inject it with apple juice and brown sugar and smoke it over apple and cherry and viola I get ham !!!

What you are describing is really Canadian bacon, but I'm guessing you are looking for a different flavor profile? Texture? Some of the ideas above certainly look/sound very good. As far as flavor goes, you can do a lot of things with your brine and smoke to change the flavor profile to your liking.
Let us know what you come up with, would love to hear and see the results.

I recently attempted a CanadianBacon/BuckboardBacon out of a whole loin. I used a tenderquick recipe(Cowgirls I believe) and cured for 6 days in the fridge.

At the end of the process(smoked to 150 IT) the end of the loin that was the whitemeat side was very ham tasting, while the end that has more of the sirloin(or tenderloin?, the redder meat) had a more bacon flavor.

Back