High capacity chimney

TheRealGrinder

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I am currently using a large Weber rapid fire chimney. It doesn't hold enough fuel for my needs and seems to take forever to get going. Any suggestions appreciated. Also, I'm using Kingsford original briquettes for fuel for most of my cooks.

I saw a larger custom made chimney for sale at Academy Sports while traveling through Birmingham a few weeks back - looked like 2-3 times the capacity of the large Weber. Looked like a 10 inch, 11 gage (or thinner) tubing with an expanded metal grate welded in about 6 inches up from the bottom. Thought at the time a little propane burner would really trick it out. Big capacity, but kind of heavy.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked their website, all that's coming up is the weber and a smaller, cheaper looking model. I see you have a 26" weber. What do you use for a starter?

I agree the one at academy is huge. It might not be on their website, but it has been in every one of their stores that I have been in lately.

I just use the big Weber chimney, Cowboy lump or Kingsford (or a mix and usuall a few small (2"x2"x6") kiln dried hickory splits from the wood stash from my bigger smoker. The Weber works fine but I've been keeping my eyes open for a larger one.
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked their website, all that's coming up is the weber and a smaller, cheaper looking model. I see you have a 26" weber. What do you use for a starter?

You can win a chimney in the "it could be yours #5" thread.

I checked out the pimp chimney website. It looks very well built, they don't give the dimensions, though . I'd want to hear some rewiews before pluncking down $125 for a starter chimney.

Just get yourself a weed burner and light them directly in the grill if you're grilling. I only use the chimney when I'm smoking and only need to light a few

What they said ^^^^^
Haven't used a chimney in over a year.

If you use one huge chimney, the coals at the bottom will be half or more used up by the time the coals on the top get ready.

I use two Weber chimneys when I need a lot of coals.

CD

Thanks, I'm going to order the one with the ignition.

Here's a link

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

They also have one with an ignition

Got one of these a couple weeks ago for my UDS build and they're just the ticket for starting lump, charcoal or melting aluminum and other soft metals if you're so inclined. I didn't get the one with the igniter as I use one of those long tubed butane lighters you can buy for a buck. Let a little gas out, ignite it and you're off to the races with whatever amount of heat you want to apply. I even use it to burn the galvanizing off of hardware and fasteners before a build.

spinner

Back