Who's ready for more?

We brewed the our first pot of the Yemen this morning and all I can say is wow! After the Kona, PNG and now this my wife and I cannot go back to store bought coffee. Thanks Ron!

i'm not a coffee drinker, but i started with the kona on weekends and, like you said, after that and the PNG, i'll continue to drink coffee on weekends, but it will be Roastin' Ron's.

how long will this coffee store if i don't grind it until i use it. i still have kona left.

it's currently in the bags in the pantry, not the freezer.

I'm picky :doh: so I use it within two weeks of roasting. Most folks would be fine using it within a month or so. You can go a couple of months if you freeze it, but only freeze what you want to store. Don't keep it in the freezer and take out what you want to use. That get's too much moisture in the bag.

Quick technical question - when I do french press, it seems like it's better if I don't let the water get all the way to a boil. Does that seem right?

Quick technical question - when I do french press, it seems like it's better if I don't let the water get all the way to a boil. Does that seem right?

interested in this as i use a french press as well.

I'm picky :doh: so I use it within two weeks of roasting. Most folks would be fine using it within a month or so. You can go a couple of months if you freeze it, but only freeze what you want to store. Don't keep it in the freezer and take out what you want to use. That get's too much moisture in the bag.

yikes. looks like i better get to drinking. will go ahead and kill the kona this weekend.

Well, that's just me :) You may not notice the degradation as the coffee ages as much as I do.

The ideal brew temp is between 195 and 205 degrees. I generally bring the water to a boil and then as it rests I grind the coffee. By then the water is around 200 - 203 and that's generally right for my tastes.

Use your thermapen and see what temp the water is when the coffee tastes best to you, and then you can duplicate the results.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
You want the water to reach no more than 190F, above that and you are losing some of the more delicate flavors. This is one of the reasons that a hot pot with a thermostat is often used for cuppings.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Dang, Ron answered and our answers do not match.

I have to say, one of the interesting things about the PNG, it is rare that I find a coffee that tastes great both hot and cold, this is one that does just that. I was cupping some Yemen Mocha Sanani and it is great on depth and when warm, a Bali that was exceptional when hot, but, thin and bitter when cold.

Absolutely not TMI! Thanks for the link. :thumb: Another question - time for a new grinder. I do drip and french press. What would be a good one to get?

Check out this information...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98321

This is the grinder that I use for drip, press, etc.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Baratza/baratza_maestro_plus.cfm

It's pricey, but will last a long time.

If you want something less expensive, this is a good choice...
http://www.wholelattelove.com/Capresso/infinityburr.cfm

Also, if you don't mind refurbished, Baratza has some good deals...

http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=BRFB

The Maestro for $70 is a bargain. The rebadged Starbucks Barista is a hybrid of the Maestro and the Maestro Plus and is a good deal for $80, and a refurb Maestro Plus at $95 is a good value.

I definitely do refurbs - I also like the word "bargain", so looks like I'll be stepping in to the world of burr grinders and getting the Maestro refurb - many thanks for the info! :clap2:

Got to try the Costa Rican yesterday. Very good. Very rich full flavor and no bitterness at all. It was interesting that after grinding I did get a bit of tobaco smell. I thought maybe it was just me. Went back to your first post and you mentioned that about the Yeman.

Ron do you recommend that if you are not going to open the bag and use the beans for a few weeks to stick it in the freezer

Grinding the Yemeni tonight for drinkage in the morning. Really looking forward to it.

Back