Tri-Tip Availability.

Bluehawg

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I finally found a couple around here but they are labeled as "California Tri-Tip" and are vac-packed with some kind of seasoning and marinade on them. I ain't real crazy about buying pre-seasoned/marinated meat because I like to do that myself. I have yet to be able to find any just plain ol raw tri-tips to try. I envy you guys that apparently have em falling off the shelves where you live. Same goes for flat-iron steaks. Around here they are all vac-packed with the pre-seasoning and marinade AND are MORE expensive than daggum rib-eyes...

Was this at Kroger? I refused to buy them at the 7.99/lb they were charging here. Apparently, everyone else was doing the same because they pretty soon became manager's specials so I snagged a couple at 4.49/lb even knowing they were essentially brined. I wound up just broiling both in the oven (Seperate nights) and they were OK, but I was glad I didn't waste the time/energy/fuel to reverse sear them on the kettle. I too wish we could get REAL tri tip in this area.

That's funny they're labeled "California Tritip".

In California, they get labeled "Santa Maria Tritip" haha!

It's always my belief that tritip particularly out here in California in a preseasoned/marinated vac-pak is packaged that way by the grocer because it hasn't sold and was getting a bit older.
I don't know - just my opinion...

This is what they look like from the store here:

attachment.php

It's factory packaged just like those Hormel marinated pork tenderloins...

This is what they look like from the store here:

attachment.php

It's factory packaged just like those Hormel marinated pork tenderloins...
Yep, that's it. The ones here are usually in black and blue packages. Always got the salt brine thing and preseasoned.

Not at Kroger though. We don't have one of those in Richton, Petal, or Hattiesburg. We have Corner Market, Winn Dixie, Wal-Mart, Sams, Target, and Rameys...

Corner Market and Rameys tend to be what a grocery store should be and are more "gourmet" in their variety and quality of foods unlike the box store types like Sams, Walmart, Target...

There is a Kroger in Laurel though, about a 30-35 mile drive and it isn't located in the most special or savory area of town if you know what I mean. It isn't a typical Kroger store in that it is a little run down and dingey in there. It isn't like the Kroger in Memphis for sure.

Where I am at here in Georgia, I am able to get them pretty readily but I normally need to ask. They get them at my local Publix all the time, but they cut them up almost as soon as they arrive. They get them in cryovac packs of four. The meat guys tell me that I am one of their only customers who buys them whole. You might want to ask the guys at the meat counter at one of your better stores and see if they can hook you up the same way.

Tri-Tip is my absoulte fave to smoke! Also called "bottom sirloin" in some areas. Want to try some Fajitas sometime with em.

I marinade overnight with a mixture of teriyaki or ginger sauce, lots of chopped garlic, crushed red pepper and pineapple juice.

Put on the smoker with pecan wood at 250-275 until the internal temp is 145. (Roughly 1.5 hrs give or take for a 2 pounder) Wrap in foil and let rest for an hour and then slice up! Med to Med-Rare GREATNESS!

On the left in the pan was 2 weeks ago:

A8jFIrWCAAET5I9.jpg

What the heck.. Give it a try. Go from there. that being said, there on sale for $3.49lb right now, here in So Cali. Its a great cut of meat, try it and let us know what you think, even with all that seasoning.

we got da kine tri tip here bruh. must be a kailuafornian thing :wink:. pulehu'd one steak; looked, smelled and tasted like one new york steak. would fail a blind taste test between da two fo sho.

Attachments

• photo 1(2).jpg
    photo 1(2).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 57
  • photo 2(2).jpg
    photo 2(2).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 57
  • photo 3(2).jpg
    photo 3(2).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 57
Where I am at here in Georgia, I am able to get them pretty readily but I normally need to ask. They get them at my local Publix all the time, but they cut them up almost as soon as they arrive. They get them in cryovac packs of four. The meat guys tell me that I am one of their only customers who buys them whole. You might want to ask the guys at the meat counter at one of your better stores and see if they can hook you up the same way.

Which Publix do you go to?
I'm in Hampton and close to Locust Grove.
I also find them at Costco. It is my favorite cut.

we got two choices here. trimmed and untrimmed. i get the untrimmed cuz its cheaper and has the fat still on. but for those that can't find it, do ask the butcher
as mentioned. those pre seasoned ones make me sick.

Very much a West Coast cut of meat. We get them here fairly regularly for about $2.99-$3.99 untrimmed and $3.99-$5.99 trimmed. I find that untrimmed has about a 15-20% waste factor when I trim off the fat so I go for the trimmed where I can see the marbling of the meat. One of my favorite pieces of beef right below rib-eye.

If you have difficulty finding or identifying tri-tip in your area, just ask your
butcher for a NAMP 185C cut. It's admittedly hard to find east of the
Mississippi, but it's well worth your effort.

Next, you want to cook tri-tip like a big ol' steak. Smoking is not your
friend with this cut. Use what I call a "Red Neck Sous Vide" method, which
is also known as "reverse sear". Cook the roast indirect until it hits about
110* internal, then sear it over direct heat (400-500*) for about three
minutes per side, to a finished temp of about 125-130*. You're looking for
a beautifully dark, but not charred crust.

RealSantaMariaTriTip_4.jpg

Let the roast rest for at least 10 minutes, and then cut it across the grain
1/8" to 1/4" thick.

All you need for seasoning is kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, and a
little granulated garlic.

John

There are a few things, if you can find a real butcher of someone at least willing to talk with you. Almost every store is getting a sirloin primal of some sort or another. Traditionally, since the 1950's, the three cuts of sirloin, that all have been used in Santa Maria style BBQ are the Top Block, The Ball-Tip and the Tri-tip, any of these done to a nice medium rare will serve you well. Of the three, Top Block or Tri-tip are what you want. A whole trimmed tri-tip will always run between 1.5 and 3 pounds, Top Block is more around 4 to 6 pounds, and Ball Tip is around 5 to 8 pounds.

See if you can score any of the three main sections from the Top Sirloin, Bottom Sirloin sub-primal, it will always be one of these three. Bearing in mind that the Top Sirloin is not the same as Sirloin, which is located above the tenderloin.

Back