Damn kids -> hog cook Friday

Shack Attack!

Bingo, we have a winner!!!

I must admit, I'm not a fan of most mustard sauces, and have only had one in the past that unfortunately came across a table when judging (so I have no idea to whom to ask for the recipe) that I really liked.

Anyway, this recipe is very close. It's very good, and I can tell it'll get a little better setting up a little while... We'll see how it goes with my Q.

This from Boshizzle a few months back:

Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. I drink this stuff straight, that's how good it is. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away.

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces total.

Tending fire (offset; one can never go far)... Ohhhhhhh it's already starting "that smell". It's... intoxicating.

Needs 'bout 2 TBS cayenne...

The Crystal I'm using is a little hotter than a few others, but yeah, I'm thinking I may add 1tsp cayenne and let that sit a little to see where it takes it. I'm thinking it tastes great and has a nice black pepper bite, but doesn't have that little hint of a lingering burn...

2TBS? YEOW.

Oh yeah, I just hit it with 1 tsp cayenne, and it's about right. Not "lite ya up" hot, bit has a nice little bite to it.

Looking good - and I do believe you are lucky! Kids coming rules ... for me its my 2 bothers and their families. Used to be they'd come and eat and not clean up; now if they want BBQ they have to clean up :)

Last night it went from 7 or 8 people to now pushing 20... Friends heard and they're driving over in their boats... Impromptu party, apparently. :) 'tsall good.

I suppose there are worse reputations to have.

Runnin' 'er a little hot today, on purpose. Guerry, I normally run 250-270 and really dont sweat small temp changes. Today I'm in the 270-290 range. I'd like to get these done around 3:30. The shoulders will be probably around 2:30 to 3:00, but the hams will take a little longer.

Cool. I've decided on a pineapple juice, brown sugar, powdered mustard and vinegar mix with a touch of salt for the injection on my ham. Wish I could have a taste of yours though!

Last edited:
I actually think Crystal is less hot than most (Franks, etc.) I like it better, because I think it has a more complex flavor profile.

BAM! Exactamundo. Crystal is not hot, but it (And the original Louisiana Hot Sauce) has a distinct flavor dimension. Much preferred by me to Franks.

WHEW. Exhausted. I'll see if I cant get some pics out a little later, but probably tomorrow morning. Only 14 showed, but we had a great time... Friends left with 2 gallon bags of Q. I have 2 in the fridge, and 4 in the freezer... I really enjoyed cooking the hams, but they're just not as flavorful as the shoulders. Next time we'll probably just do shoulders (coming soon; our July 4th party but it's been moved to July 20th for a ton of stupid reasons).

G'nite y'all. Pics tomorrow.

Oh, you're probably right, perhaps not as hot, but a better flavor IMHO.

The Shack Attack was a hit with those of us who like NC style Q. Me, I like all types, and afraid that my waist line bares evidence...

Was right at 11am yesterday (4.5 hours into the cook), "the turn" I call it; foil time. A few quick pics, I dont like to delay in this step:

Shoulder; PLENTY of smoke on 'er. Time for foil:

These quick pics happened right at 6:30 and I had to "shoo" the kids away to get it. We were bringing out the coleslaw and calico beans and what-not. Sorry no pics of the different sauces. This (what hasn't been eaten so far) is about 10 gallon bags worth of Q. We ate approximately 2 bags worth last night, 4 in the freezer, 2 given away, 2 in the fridge:

Not happy.... <this little girl>

She wasn't the center of attention all day and puppy chow just wont do...

Back