Judge the Rib box.

Bentley

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
IMG_2071.jpg

Would you all mind scoring this box for apperance. I will explain why I want it judged tomorrow after I hope a few responses.

7 1/2. Garnish appears real "busy" (even though we don't get scored on garnish), ribs aren't cut even. I'd still hit it.

6 - ribs are all different widths & the cuts are not straight.

I would judge the appearance a 7.

The biggest thing I notice is how the ribs aren't evenly cut. When doing the "hollywood cut" as shown above, its hard to make them look even. The advantage to a normal cut is that they can be presented all assembled as a rack, which makes an uneven cut much less obvious. Also, I would suggest filling up the box a bit more so there is more meat and less green. I think displaying more than 6 ribs makes you shows confidence in your product and keeps your table captain happy too!

I agree with the 7's. The greeen is pretty busy although I can tell you spent a lot of time on this. I also agree about the ribs not being cut very even.

Last edited:
Everyone above is dead on. 7-8 in a meat contest, though I'd give you 8-9 in a salad contest!

The greenery steals the show from the meat. The uneveness of the samples detract from the overall good look of the meat.
ModelMaker

I think I might have to go with a 6 on it maybe a 7, I do not care for the arrangement because it draws attention away from the ribs and draws attention to the uneveness of the ribs.

6. Looks like you are trying to hide something. Color in uneven, the cut is uneven, sauce is uneven, the garnish is more exciting than the meat.

Not being mean, just giving an honest opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strong 7....possible 8 depending on what it looked like in person.

Uneven cut is one reason. Don't really dig the spacing between ribs. If you cut uneven by mistake, you can use them tight together with no spaces to hide that issue a bit more.

The ribs look nice but I believe you could have done a little better in slicing especially if you are submitting ribs with ample meat on each side of the bone. Slicing the ribs meat side down will allow better visualization of the rib. Additionally, laying a piece of white thread on your intended line of slice for each rib will help in producing more uniform samples. The threads allow for a preview. A secret shared. 7

First let me say thank you for the feedback! I was not offended by anything that was posted, please don't be by my response!

This was a turn in at Clovis last weekend, there has been some discussion on the CBBQA about how low the over all scores were...For an example we got 10th in Ck, 13th in Ribs, 19th in Pk and 5th in Bk, and still finished 5th out of 42 teams, I would like to know how that happens? All I can figure is lots of teams really F-Up in 1 or more category's!

Your scores were closer to what I expected than what I got. To me it is a meat contest, but I am the 1st to say when people ask for feedback on boxes, if you are gonna garnish, then damn it garnish!

I hate to see comments like your cuts are off, sauce is to thick, the greens are to busy, color is uneven...I think that is just BS, but you are just like the average judge, it should not matter but it does. Its a Farken meat contest, what the hell does it matter how the fricken rib is cut, or the color is off (I have been competing 6 years & I don't know what that means), or if the sauce is even!

As I cut the farken ribs I knew they were gonna look bad it the box. Wanted to Hollywood them, but a BB does not lend itself well to this cut! Did it anyway! As I look back at the box I think I would have given it a 7 if I was judging it.

I think you that gave a 6 are a little low, if you think that is an "average" rib turn in I would very much like to see what you think a 9 is? Is a 9 possible in your mind?

Your scores 77677766677776.

The judges scores 6 8 9 9 9 7...Go figure!

Thanks again for the input.

This appearence judging has always bugged me. I think garnish should be banned and only a piece of foil or butcher paper allowed in. I dont mind being judged on taste or texture but being told my pieces of brisket are to wavy or not all the same size I agree is BS. never went to a resturaunt or friends house and said "well would have been perfect but none of my ribs were cut straight, work on that before serving me again please" I like to know my meal is made to eat and not look like a processed piece of something that came from oscar mayer. I liked your box fine but cant really tell you what i thought of them, didnt taste them.
vent over

I hate to see comments like your cuts are off, sauce is to thick, the greens are to busy, color is uneven...I think that is just BS

Excuse me, but didn't you ask for those comments? The cuts do look sloppy. The sauce is not evenly applied. It's a nice looking box, but with just a little more attention to detail it could have gotten even more 9s from your generous judges.

I suspect that it might have been difficult to close the lid with all that lettuce sticking out.

Back