UDS Stencil How to...

Jayblefty

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I looked for a how to before I did the paint on my UDS but I couldnt find a tutorial on how to layer some colors on to get a 3 color logo. I dye a lot of Disc Golf Discs so I just used the same basics but applied spray paint instead of dye. Got some shots and figured I would put together a how to. the lines didnt come out super crisp but I plan to go over them with a brush to crisp it all up.

First thing I did was hit my UDS with about 4 layers of Rustoleum grill paint out of a rattle can. Wanted to make sure it was sealed up nice and it would hold up for a while. All the other layers I put on were just regular spray paint. I cut some ContacPaper out into a sheet that was about the size I wanted for my logo. Stuck the entire sheet on my UDS and tried to get it as flat as I could and press all the bubbles out. My drum has a lot of ribs so it was a pain but it worked. Then on the contacpaper I drew the outline of my stencil then used an exacto to cut that section out. Peeled off the sheet in the middle and sprayed my white base coat...

I let it dry for about an hour then laid another sheet of contacpaper over the layer of white. I drew on the contacpaper all the pieces that I wanted to be grey then used an exacto to cut those out and peeled the unwanted sections of contacpaper off. Then I hit it with the grey spray paint.

Let that layer dry overnight then stuck another layer of contacpaper over my painted area, drew out all the sections I wanted green then used an exacto to cut those out and peel off the cutout sections. Sealed all the edges up as well as I could and sprayed it with green

Let the paint dry a bit and peeled that layer off...

and an action shot

If I do another I will let each layer of paint dry a bit more before I peel off the stencils. The other thing I will do in the future is use a drum with fewer ribs so I can get the contacpaper to lay flatter and have fewer bubbles on the edges. The paint Job cost me about $15 and it was fun to do so I dont really mind that its not perfect:grin: Its big and you can tell what it is, thats really all I was after!!!

Did you burnish before applying the paint?

Did you burnish before applying the paint?
Just wiped it down with a damp cloth to get all the dust and stuff off. I built my UDS about mid summer and I have used it a lot so there was some grease and sauce spots on it.

Why on earth would you put that God-awful Eagle on there???!!!?!?
A nice blue silver and blue star should do well!
:wink:
Looks great!

I looks good! I am just curious how well the " normal" paint will hold up.

Sweet paint job ! One of my dogs is named after Riley Cooper..... go figure :shock:

Back