Quick ?

cb4004

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
doing a butt tomorrow. do i inject or just let it roll? interested in knowing what you all do with your butts. Thats a loaded ? keep it clean.

You will be fine with or without an injection. I rarely inject butts.

I usually don't inject. I actually have two butts on the smoker now that are the first I have ever injected. This was at the request of my wife, who wanted my to follow the recipe in Chris Lilly's cookbook.

I never inject.

I trim a good bit of fat off, too, prior to smoking.

I roll at 275 until it probes tender all over & then rest it for an hour or so, then pull it and hit with my vinegar sauce.

My family has put me on strict notice to not tamper with my pulled pork method. They want me to stay locked in to results I've been getting this past year or so.

Looks like I go the other way. I always inject. I start with the basic Chris Lilly injection and add apple juice instead of water. I used to have some sour cherry syrup and would add a touch of that -- not much. I buy my butts in vacpacs and inject right through the plastic. Just inject from one side and don't poke through the other side. If I am injecting the day before I'll leave them in a cooler with ice. If I am smoking them the same day I try to give them at least an hour before I rub them down.

I dont inject my pork. Most times I don't even mop. Still turns out juicy and flavorful either way with good bark.

I mix a couple of tablespoonfuls of rub with apple juice and then inject the butt the night prior. I do this more to get rub and flavor to the internal meat than I do to add juiciness.

Ive never injected my butts up until yesterday. Im not sure how I felt about it, not going to rule it out but the next cook I do I am going to do 2 butts again and do one injected and one not injected to see what is better. I only did the injection about 1.5hrs before I put them on the cooker so maybe that is why?

Back