So where can i find some expanded metal that is not 24x12 or 24x24 like at the lowes and HD by my house. Is there a place i can get to cut me a piece that is about 8x45. please chime in and tell me how you all got your larger pieces of expanded metal and what guage you picked that was not to weak but was still able to bend it into a circle. thanks!!!

I used Norco's suggested 3/4" x #9 expanded metal. I got a 3' x 4' drop for $21. It is easy to cut on a bench saw with a metal blade. It is pretty stiff to bend into a circle, but it can be done with a little effort.

If you cut it 8 1/4" wide you will be right in the middle of the joint between the diamonds so you won't end up with unclosed diamonds and therefore ragged edges.

Lowe's or HD around here do not carry expanded metal. I was able to get mine from a steel mill locally. They must get a lot of calls, because when you walk in to their sales office, there is a big stack of precut expanded steel labeled for BBQ use:-D

I was able to easily cut mine with an angle grinder and appropriate disc. I found that expanded metal is much easier to bend when it is 60* outside vs when it is 30* outside. Which suggests that if you run a hair dryer over the expanded metal for a little bit, it might be a little easier to bend.

If you cut it 8 1/4" wide you will be right in the middle of the joint between the diamonds so you won't end up with unclosed diamonds and therefore ragged edges.

If you put the ragged edges on the bottom it wont matter, and you wont filet yourself when playin' with your basket:wink:

Schweet lookin UDS's Pit boss. So, who's the lucky recipient of the other one?

I'm thinking the world was ready for a homemade pit that could be made on the cheap and works. Three quarters of a million hits sure proves it.

I can get some brand new 55 gallon drums, that have a removable lid for 40 bucks. How much more would it cost to build my own??

3n83k03p45Oa5T45P3a2ca9e0866ab54a1ed1.jpg

Im not sure if you contacted me about Greif. It cost me maybe 150.00 with the price of the brand new drum for all parts. Expanded metal, weber grate, and ball valve were the expensive pieces. I also splurged on some good high temp paint.
Any questions let me know
kris

OK, I'm gonna look thru this thread more thoroughly but in the mean time does anyone have any advice for finding a drum around town besides Craigslist? Like a business or any other kinds of places that typically have leftover drums that would be usuable, or maybe a place online? I dont need it be free or even that dirt cheap but less than $100 shipped at the very least otherwise it starts to defeat the purpose cost wise. I found this but it's over $150 w/shipping. Any advice?

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...el/drums-pails/55-gallon-steel-drum-open-head

Stepheneleven, I sent you a private message but didn't hear back from you. If you're even remotely considering spending $150.00 on a drum, please check your PMs and or look at this thread...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78492

The guy I get my drums from is about midway between Milwaukee and Madison. $15.00 each non-lined, smooth sided, one use 55 gallon drum, with lid and clamp ring.

Anyone local to northern IL or Wisconsin feel free to PM for contact info.

Wow, this is the mother of all threads!

Took me a month to read this thing. UDS 1 is built and smoking a brisket right now. Just got the rest of my baskets from the welder for the fleet.

Note to those about to build. KISS, KISS, KISS. Get a simple one working first. Leave the bells and whistles for the subsequent builds.

Thanks for all the great posts. The BBQ that this drum makes is out of this world.

What's the dimensions on your baskets....They look awesome!

Charcoal Basket building without SS legs

Hey Norco,
(or anyone else that may have comparison experience, it's just that Norco has made so dang many!)

Thanks for the tips and the video on the charcoal basket, but I got another question for ya.

I see that you have overlap when creating you basket and all you have to do is roll and bolt or weld bottom grate and side seam.

Here's the question,

Have you ever made the basket taller so that the grate could be inside 2 1/2" to 3" off the bottom and then welded, wired or SS zip tied into place?

Seems you could save the cost of the SS nuts, bolts and washers (about $8-10 here in Dallas, TX area). I know there would be a little more cost per expanded metal piece 'cause you'd be doing something like 11 or 12 in. vs. 8 but that SS stuff aint cheap.

Just wondering if you've tried it that way and decided that nuts and bolts are the better way to go.

brotherbd

UDS Vent III...

Here's my latest and greatest sliding air vent design...:cool: I also plan to use it on my SouthPaw Smoker (in the design stages)...

P1010707.jpg

P1010705.jpg

P1010706.jpg

JD, that looks very good.

Have you thought of making the piece with the holes in it slide too -- sorta like the BGE spark screen. That would let you fully open it to clean out ashes and tap the fire basket. Just a thought.:biggrin:

Here's my latest and greatest sliding air vent design...:cool: I also plan to use it on my SouthPaw Smoker (in the design stages)...

P1010707.jpg

P1010705.jpg

P1010706.jpg

Looks good! I was going to go with something similar but got a good deal on a BGE vent so that's what I'm going with on my 1st UDS. The holes work just as well as a rectangle cut but provides more strength and rigidity to the frame.

Last edited:
Nice. I used the BGE vent on one of my drums but I like the looks of this. Planning on another build over the summer and I will copy this if you don't mind.

Holy smoke-Looks good JD. I made a batch of BGE style vents on Thursday and will try them next week. That makes so much more sense then having little taps and nipples hanging off a barrel. Your design will add some bling to the lowly UDS!! What gauge did you use?

JD, that looks very good.

Have you thought of making the piece with the holes in it slide too -- sorta like the BGE spark screen. That would let you fully open it to clean out ashes and tap the fire basket. Just a thought.:biggrin:

Yep...I thought of that but wanted to keep it simple and not copy BGE too much...this will be used on my SouthPaw Smoker as well (in design). I can still get a wiggle rod in through the 3/4 holes to shake down the basket if need be...:cool:

Nice. I used the BGE vent on one of my drums but I like the looks of this. Planning on another build over the summer and I will copy this if you don't mind.

Copy away brother smoker...:wink:

Holy smoke-Looks good JD. I made a batch of BGE style vents on Thursday and will try them next week. That makes so much more sense then having little taps and nipples hanging off a barrel. Your design will add some bling to the lowly UDS!! What gauge did you use?

These were made out of some 28 gauge stainless that was laying around the shop...I'll be making them out of 16 gauge for the SouthPaw Smoker as it will not have to be rolled to fit a drum radius.

Back