Picked up some new charcoal

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Chef's Select. I ordered it into my local DoItBest and will probably try it out this weekend. I know a few of you out there have used it...please let me know what you think of it and i'll do the same after. Thanks.

Dang I'm starting to feel like a charcoal junkie! I got RO lump, blue, competition and now this on hand.

I've used a few bags of that - I like it. If it wasn't so easy for me to get Trader Joe's (i.e. Rancher) briqs I'd be getting that.

I have one right becide where I work.

Mine give it a try.

Let us know Keith.

I bought a couple bags of the Chef Select last year and I liked the cooking time. I know that Royal Oak makes Chef Select and wondering what the difference is comparison to the Royal Oak Red bag with the "ridges"?

Heck, I've got The Good One, Rockwood, Dragon Breath, Humphrey's, Vision, Ozark Oak and Kamado Joe lump on hand at home. :wink: And I have a bag of Fogo on the way.

Last edited:
wondering what the difference is comparison to the Royal Oak Red bag with the "ridges"?

The ridges are new to the ROCS. I have a couple bags with the ridges but haven't tried them yet. I wish they would have left well enough alone. Don't need gimmicks to sell good charcoal.

The original ROCS was 100% natural, used a starch binder with no other fillers. Not sure if the ridged ROCS or red bag RO are all natural.

Last edited:
Heck, I've got The Good One, Rockwood, Dragon Breath, Humphrey's, Vision, Ozark Oak and Kamado Joe lump on hand at home. :wink:
LOL i figured there were bigger junkies out there than me! :becky:

I bought a couple bags of the Chef Select last year and I liked the cooking time. I know that Royal Oak makes Chef Select and wondering what the difference is comparison to the Royal Oak Red bag with the "ridges"?

Tim i really don't know other than the Chef's Select says they're hardwood briquettes. I'll do a burn time and ash comparison sometime to see how that turns out. The next time i'm up at Menards i'll pick up some RO premium (red bag) and see

I had a bag with the pre ridges blend. It was good, the briquettes were really big which was an issue. I wondered how hot it burned but that may have been related to the size not making them as easy to work with.

Let us know what you think.

Just picked up two bags about a week ago. Really like it.

Man I thought I was bad. I have RO, KBB, comp, & Stubbs. But I'm always looking for something new.

I just tried a couple bags of the RO mesquite in my UDS. I've always used Kingsford, with an assortment of different woods for smoke.

I've done pork butt, chicken and a chuck roast. I was so happy with the end results with them, that its going to be what I use from now on.

I picked up on this off flavor, real subtle, but I never could get away from it. My wife said I was crazy, but I just could not get past it. So, I changed from what I've used all my BBQ life, to Royal Oak. I always thought mesquite was too strong. Well, what ever percentage of mesquite in in the RO, its perfect for my taste.

I really like them. Really consistent, long burn time and the ash was less than Kingsford comp. I bought a bag of the GFS premium briqs and they are the same as these(both made by RO) so if you have a GFS around they usually have it on hand.
Wish the ash was less but really liked the burn time and consistency. (Guess I just wish there was a briq that had as little ash as The Good One lump)..

I really like them. Really consistent, long burn time and the ash was less than Kingsford comp. I bought a bag of the GFS premium briqs and they are the same as these(both made by RO) so if you have a GFS around they usually have it on hand.
Wish the ash was less but really liked the burn time and consistency. (Guess I just wish there was a briq that had as little ash as The Good One lump)..

Yea we have two GFS here. Do you recall the price and what lb. bag?

Not to hijack the thread but Kingsford makes hickory and mesquite briquettes. Anyone tried them without mixing wood chucks in there? Will you still get the hickory smoke flavor?

Yea we have two GFS here. Do you recall the price and what lb. bag?

I buy lots of stuff at GFS, including brisket.

Last time I bought their briqs, I think I paid about $13 for 20 lbs.

To be honest I was not that impressed with it.

A lot like KBB, even has that smell. Ash and burn time about the same as KBB as well

I much prefer Stubbs or Trader Joes for briqs. I have not tried the RO Chef Select yet.

But they do carry Lazzari Lump, 40lb bag for about $20. I really like that stuff. It sells out real quick when they get it in

I buy lots of stuff at GFS, including brisket.

Last time I bought their briqs, I think I paid about $13 for 20 lbs.

But they do carry Lazzari Lump, 40lb bag for about $20. I really like that stuff. It sells out real quick when they get it in

I'll definitely look out for that lump but the briqs isn't a good price. It was 22 dollars for that 40 lb bag of Chef's Select.

Back