Stubbs Charcoal

Big B

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Came across a new charcoal at lowes in my neck of the woods. Stubbs brand charcoal 100 percent natural with no artificial fillers. Has anybody used this brand, and what is your feedback. Taste, leftover ash, burn times, etc. I'm using a Stumps gravity feed, so I need as little ash as possible. It sounds similar to Kingsford Comp. or wicked good briquettes. Thanks for any feedback.

Brian

This is what I have been using exclusively in my kettle since I got it. It burns clean, seems to last a good while (the longest cook so far has been about 5 hours) with charcoal leftover after shut down. I like the flavor of the meat cooked on it. As far as the ash comparison, the last time I used Kingsford was too far in the past to accurately remember but the Stubbs seems to leave less clean up...

I've used it for a while and really like it. I usually pick up a bag every time i go to Lowes.

I really like Stubbs. The Lowes by me (Lincolnwood, IL) had it on sale last Saturday. Only around $.50 off per bag, but any discount is good. Not sure if that sale is still on.

Stubbs

I've been useing stubbs for a while but this weekend I tried cowboy lump for the first time and absolutely hate lump...What a pain to light and bridging inside my Stumps smoker is nothing but a head ache..I love the flavor and easy light of the brickets and will stick with that for now on even though there is a little more ash but it only has 5 percent vegetable binder....Thumbs up here.....

cowboy lump shouldn't be your measuring stick. try something a little better in quality. i've been using royal oak and wicked good. very similar in burn and flavor(there are differences, but anyway). cowboy lump isn't a good way to judge lump i think.

back to the point, i tried stubbs(it was on sale at lowes on friday too), and the bag said all natural, so on we go.

tried a HH brisket for the first time with it, poor judgement. it cooked nice and long, clean flavor, BUT, couldn't get the heat, even with a stoker.
350 was a real struggle in the 22.5 WSM. however, with both RO and WGC i can pretty much get whatever temp i'm looking for, be it high or low.

overall i liked the stuff pretty good. i will use it as a supplement to the RO lump moving forward. i really like WGC, but it is kinda pricey at the place around here that sells it.

I have been using Stubbs pretty much exclusively for a while. I like it a lot too.

I want to try the Wicked Good Briq's and the Royal Oak Briqs sometime just for grins, but I am overall very satisfied with the Stubbs.

I did a 6 hour burn @ about 250* in my WSM this past Sunday with about a chimney and a half unlit & 20 lit. When all was said and done I had about 3/4 Chimney left over charcoal partly burned and maybe 2 cups or so of ash in the bottom of the cooker to clean out.

I like it a lot.

The Wicked Good briqs are pretty nice, and burn about 200 degrees hotter than the WG lump.

I had to start using it after Rancher was no longer avalible in our area. Pretty good results and low ash is always a plus.

I have a Char-Broil Silver Smoker Offset and the first few times I used it, I was using Kingsford Charcoal and keeping the temperature regulated was a nightmare so I tried Stubbs Charcoal and I didn't have to touch the dampers or add coal for a 6 hour rib cook.
After having such success with the Stubbs Charcoal, I added some Cowboy brand lump charcoal and a few applewood chunks to the basket of Stubbs charcoal and still don't have any problems with temperatures.
I leave the top damper on the firebox closed and the bottom damper on the firebox opened about an 1/8th of an inch and like I said, I never have to touch it for 6 to 8 hours. It burns at at 220 the whole time.
I bought the Stubbs charcoal, Stubbs applewood chunks and Cowboy lump charcoal at Lowes.

Thanks for the input guys, I have been using Kingsford competition briquettes since the beginning of the year and really like it, but it seems to burn really fast, but I like the flavor. I've been wanting to try the Stubbs, and also going to try the Wicked Good Briquettes soon.

Big_B,

I agree that the kingsford comp brics burn too quickly. I prefer Stubbs. Decent burn temps and time with reasonable ash production.

Mark

I have used many of Stubb's products, Charcoal, Marinades, Sauces and I have never used any that I would not use again. Consistant good results with all the products.

Back