To burn or not to burn, that is the question! ( Bark that is. )

ericandcandi

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Need help from the stick burn brethren. When adding wood to the firebox is it better to have less bark? Seems like every time I add firewood there is too much smoke and by the time it gets to that nice "sweet blue" my chicken is a bit bitter. I'm currently using pecan and bit wanting to change to another type of wood.

With or without bark, wood will burn less efficiently when it is cold, which creates that thick smoke. Once the wood get's up to temperature, it will burn more efficiently -- which means it will burn cleaner.

The best way to avoid that smoke is to add small pieces of wood to your hot coals. You can also help the process by pre-heating your wood in the sun, or on top of your cooker. Use smaller pieces of wood, which means you will have to add wood more frequently, but your lower wood to coals ratio will give you a cleaner smoke.

CD

With or without bark, wood will burn less efficiently when it is cold, which creates that thick smoke. Once the wood get's up to temperature, it will burn more efficiently -- which means it will burn cleaner.

The best way to avoid that smoke is to add small pieces of wood to your hot coals. You can also help the process by pre-heating your wood in the sun, or on top of your cooker. Use smaller pieces of wood, which means you will have to add wood more frequently, but your lower wood to coals ratio will give you a cleaner smoke.

CD

You shouldn't be putting your chicken on before you get the sweet blue.

Agreed!!!

Back