• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My wife comes home with this from grocery store

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359824601.825080.jpg

Damn I love that woman but....

Never cooked one of these....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359824651.122348.jpg

What do you guys recommend?

Carl..anywhere from 190 to 205, but don't worry much about internal temp. When you can grab the bone and it slides right out, it's done, it'll occur somewhere in that temp range.

Carl..anywhere from 190 to 205, but don't worry much about internal temp. When you can grab the bone and it slides right out, it's done, it'll occur somewhere in that temp range.

Thank you. I really appreciate that. Isn't there a ratio of lbs to hours that will give an idea on length?

Pulled pork? then temp will be somewhere around 200, use the probe test for final test. should slide in with no resistance

That's a great wife! Take the butt to around 195-205. A good way to tell when it's done is you can pull the bone out easily.

What was the price per lb on the ribs? The price looks insanely cheap!

1.97 she's going back this afternoon and possibly tomorrow. She said limit 2 per person. Thanks for your help guys.

Conventional thinking is 1.5 to 2 hours per pound, looks like you got one a little over 7lb, my guess it will take about 10 hours at 250. If you want to speed that up, when it gets to 165-170 internal temp, you can wrap it in foil with a little apple juice.

If you don't want to wrap it, it will hit what is called the "stall" around 155-170 and it will sit there for a couple hours or so, don't worry about that it's completely normal, that's when all the magic is happening inside the meat, the fat is rendering. It will eventually come out of it and the temps will begin to climb again.

Pulled pork is awesome and easy.

Keep a close watch on that grill temp. I like to cook butts at 225...never above 250.

I've had great luck with Bad Byron's Butt Rub, too. I coat it on as heavy as possible. The stuff seals in the juice nicely.

Once you've taken your butt off the grill, try wrapping it in aluminum foil and letting it rest for an hour. It's amazing how doing this redistributes the juice before pulling it.

Shiner Bock is amoung my favorites, too.

Well done by your wife.

Keeper!!!! 300 deg about 50 min LB YMMV at that temp you avoid a Stall. When the bone wiggles loose it's done. I say let the Butt be all it can be Salt & if you must pepper.
You will get plenty of bark.
DSCF0028Kissbutt.jpg

Completely serious. Always wanted to smoke a pork butt but never have. Want to smoke it at 250 for however long. What is the internal target temp to look for?

You, my friend,are in for a sweet cook! Wait till you start to pull and see how much of that bark you eat.

I've used meatheads Memphis dust on butts and its really good. Last time I added 2 tablespoon chili powder and it gave it an amazing red color.

Thanks for all the replies. Y'all really helped me out. Going to do baby backs today and maybe put the butt on late tonight or early tomorrow.

I really don't think cooking Crona is a good idea. Congrats on that fine butt your wife gave you!:heh:

Back