Three firsts!

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
First "smoke" on the 26.75 OTG.
First "snake-ish" burn.
First spatchcock turkey.
Had one last 12.5 pound/$0.59 per pound bird in the freezer from the holidays. Spatchcocked and put in Oakridge brine for 30 hours, then hit it with Oakridge game bird rub and let it set up in the fridge for an hour.
After reading all the advice here, set up a modified snake (more of a crescent) in the 26.75 OTG.
006_zps62b6a6bc.jpg

Found a neat drip pan at my local restaurant supply store; a used 16 inch deep dish pizza pan for $3.00. The charcoal crescent is 3 brickettes in the first layer, then 2 brickettes on the second layer, then hickory chunks on top. The 3-1/2 hour cook only used 2/3 of it. Started it on the far right with about a 1/4 chimney of leftover charcoal from burgers last Tuesday. Put the bird on.
007_zps529e62fd.jpg

About 2-1/2 hours in. The 26.75 wanted to run at 275* (at the cooking grate level) with bottom dampers virtually shut (probably some leakage) and top dampers wide open so that's where I cooked and cook time accordingly. I did notice that for the entire cook the Weber dome thermo was running 15*-25* hotter than the iGrill thermo probe at grate level, probably reasonable. If you look close you can see a little flicker of flame at 12:00 high just above the iGrill grate thermo probe, one of the hickory chunks ignited with the top open with about 1/2 of the crescent/snake consumed. Added some hot apple juice to the drip pan and turned the bird 180* so the breasts were towards the heat.
008_zpsd9675f99.jpg

The finished bird coming off at 3-1/2 hours (IT's at 162 white; 168 dark) to rest under a foil tent for 30 minutes.
009_zps2ca1e79e.jpg

Uber moist and very tasty. The Oakridge brine and rubs very complimentary, not overpowering. My wife whipped up a raspberry-chipotle sauce that was REALLY interesting: 2 cups of berries & sugar reduced at temp in a sauce pan, add the liquid from canned chipotle peppers, then strain & add a little corn starch. Outstanding on the turkey! This meal will be a do-over for sure!
Thanks for looking.

Very nice looking cook.

Chicken takes on smoke quite easily. Ive never smoked turkey so i am wondering, did you feel that the turkey was over smoked using that many wood chunks?

Very nice looking cook.

Chicken takes on smoke quite easily. Ive never smoked turkey so i am wondering, did you feel that the turkey was over smoked using that many wood chunks?
No, I don't think it had to much smoke, BUT:
- the cook only consumed 1/2 the hickory chunks (about 5);
- I just cut down some of the kiln dried hickory I use in my big RF offset - it is VERY clean, dry & fast burning wood; and,
- we like a fair amout of smoke, maybe more than some, especially in the rendered skin.
That said, I do think hickory might be a little much for a long turkey cook (i.e., compared to 1/2 chickens) and I think I'll try a furitwood the next time, maybe apple or peach.

That is one good looking bird you have there.
Never had really moist turkey till I started to brine.

Back