How's your rib cutting technique?

I "cheat" too. I usually split the difference between the two adjacent bones. I've seen another comp guy cut along the side of one bone to give one meaty side. Anybody else do this?

my rib game took a big step when someone told me to flip em over and cut bone side up.....mind-blown....:eusa_clap

If I am just cutting some ribs for myself, I just stand them up, and run a knife between each bone, letting the knife go where it wants. If you want to impress, cut as close as you can to every other bone. You will end up with double meat, on half of your bones, and some shaved bones, for the cook:-D

Yes, the "Cadillac Cut". The Brethren turned me onto this a while back. I guess it's a comp technique IIRC, but my kids love it! :biggrin1:

If I am just cutting some ribs for myself, I just stand them up, and run a knife between each bone, letting the knife go where it wants. If you want to impress, cut as close as you can to every other bone. You will end up with double meat, on half of your bones, and some shaved bones, for the cook:-D

I call. That the "Cadillac" cut!Oops,somebody beat me to it.

Flip the rack and use a 12" Chef Knife, swing like you mean it and accept the fact they are not perfect. Drink a good beverage (adult if you like) and enjoy imperfectly cut ribs.

I sometimes struggle slicing ribs too. Sort of defies logic when you think you see the clear cut from the back and next thing you know you are hung up.

Fortunately we are carnivores here and not judges so we just eat.

I usually cut my ribs bone side up. That has always made sense to me. I never thought of it as cheating, just wanting to see what I'm doing. I like to use a 10" cimeter - I think I'm spelling that right(?).

I usually cut my ribs bone side up. That has always made sense to me. I never thought of it as cheating, just wanting to see what I'm doing. I like to use a 10" cimeter - I think I'm spelling that right(?).

Ditto. I've always cut bone-side up with a standard, high quality chef's knife. This "cheat" thing is news to me. I'd think that using a cleaver is more for speed and/or show. After all, I'm rarely cutting more than 4 racks at a time. I'd imagine if you're cutting 'em up all day you'd want to use some "shortcuts".

As an aside, I find the process of slicing up a rack after a cook strangely satisfying - like, more so than any other meat. :crazy:

Ha! Martin Yan, that’s taking it old school. He talks like my dad. I think he amps it up a bit for TV though. As a kid I watched him, that Louisiana guy, and the frugal gourmet. I don’t care what Jeff Smith does off the set but he could cook.

Justin Wilson! Would watch him with my dad back in the day. I guuuuarawwwwnteee! Haha He was the first person I ever saw deep fry a turkey.

PS I’m same with my 14” slicer...bone side up, slice between.

Bone side up. 14” granton blade. Sometimes cut ‘em “2 wide”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back