Caveman Ribeye

Do you use your 1983 Weber WGA very often? If not, then perhaps it would be up for job... :idea:

I did some caveman tenderloins on the WGA. The handles get so FARKING HOT you can feel it though mitts...............:twitch:

For those that are afraid to just throw the steak directly on the coals (i'm scared myself) i use these disposable really thin grates made for cooking veggies on the grill. I get a pack of like 4 at walmart for like 5 bucks...you can reuse the grates for caveman steaks ten's of times. Just place the grate directly on the coals and caveman away. Here's how i do it.

-22.5" kettle
-full chimney of lump
-pile lump up on one side once its ready and add a chunk or 2 of pecan
-Put regular food grate in and place steak opposite fire for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until 105 to 110F internal before searing
-remove steak and food grate and spread coals a bit and place the disposable grate directly on the fire.
- sear steak 75 to 90 seconds per side.
- rest 5 minutes
- eat best steak ever!

Great looking cook Bluesman. We love steak cooked this way but I have some friends who are still skeptical to try this method. They are missing out big time. Thanks for posting.

I do about 1-1 1/2 minutes per side per inch of thickness. I monitor with my Super Fast Red Thermapen and pull at 120* internal

Ok. Tonight's the night. gonna try the caveman style ribeye. Wish me luck.
Oh and I saw a thread here on "chimney" caveman. It has a grate. it has a chimney. How on earth is that caveman? Cavemen didn't have grates and chimneys. Cmon. I think I'm pressing my luck with charcoal. Tim the tool man Taylor would be proud

I'll get pictures if I can, but I'm new so it might take a year or so,,,,:arrow::pray:

I don't think you wanna do caveman over charcoal briquettes.

Thanks for the warning.
have NEVER used briquettes Even in a chimney. (yes, I know$$) I aint rich but... I DON'T BBQ every day, and if I learn, I learn properly.

Anyone got a rub? or just plain Lawry's seasoned pepper and a bit of fresh garlic?

Been meaning to give this a shot - this may inspire me to do so!

Just one single flip? Or do you do it a couple of times so it's a bit more even?

Back