250 Gallon Cooker Help...

crego97

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am the FNG and I am loving this site. I am going to upgrade my 250 Gallon oil drum smoker. We built one on short time frame last year with no money. Now that I have cooked about 10 hogs on it I want to upgrade it to better control the temp. I don't want to get in the debate about the oil drum cookers, I already have one and love it. I just would like to see a few pictures of what you have on a trailer. I will have specs and pictures of mine when I get home from work.
Thanks in advance,
Chad

Support Our Troops, They Support You!!!

I enjoy mine i keep very close temps on both my racks within a couple of degrees i have a piece of steel welded in and separating the fire box from the middle rack. the opening on the bottom is about 10 inches

Attachments

• barrel smoker 032.jpg
    barrel smoker 032.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 136
i replaced my smoke stack with a larger 6" exhaust and also took it down to grate level...helped with temp difference

No pics, just sold my 400 gallon smoker, but I added a 1 inch ball valve to the fire box to tweak temps. Gave me a "fine tuning" knob. Got 8 hrs out of a 20 lb bag of charcoal at 230 deg.

Mine is a 500ish gallon (cut a 1000 relatively in half) We built the trailer. It holds at 250 pretty well if the weather is just right, but the firebox is undersized. Plan to insulate the firebox to see if that helps. I understand the cheap, ive only got about $450 in mine and need about $100 more to finish. There is a one foot opening between the firebox and the cook chamber, plans for a baffle to keep the fire from flaring into the cook chamber. Hope this helps

156.jpg

Thanks,
Mine works good, but I need to add some air vents to the fire box..
I have a few holes on the bottom that I drilled with a 1/2" bit but they get filled up with ash pretty quick, then I have to prop up my door and put a fan underneath to keep it going prop... but it works.. I was going to put in a few slide vents, One on each side prob 3" tall
chad

Back