Hello from the North East

J

Jeb VonCameltoe

Hey Bretheren!

New to the boards and new to smoking . I have been grilling for years but finally made the step to smoking. (just bought a char griller duo with a SFB)

Last weekend I smoked my first racks of ribs. They came out great but not everyone liked them as I like spicy rubs. Anyway, I know it's an art and look forward to perfecting it!!

My mission tomorrow is a picnic shoulder roast (7 pounder). I have the brine, rub, mop, sauce and slaw ready to go! Any tips while I sit and enjoy my Sunday by the smoker?

Here's my plan...

I'm thinking 10 or so hours (until the meat by the bone hits 200 degrees).

Start with the temp of the smoker to hold around 200 until the meat hits about 150 then going to raise the temp to 235ish and hit it with the mop every 1/2 hour or so.

Going to use an apple/mesquite mix of wood (benefit of living in the NE, apple orchards EVERYWHERE!)

That's my plan.

Now my only question (I think)...

Should I turn, flip, rotate this bad Larry at all while I'm smoking?

Thanks ahead of time for any tips and I look forward to sharing my experiences with smoking with you.

welcome,
at the bottom of the page is a search that will help ya pretty good.
it looks like a google search, but it is for this site. type "picnic" and you can get
great info from previous posts and threads. hope this helps ya.
I use it all the time for information, and find it most helpful.

Welcome !!!

My thoughts..

no reason to start as low as 200... only to go up just 35 more degrees. IMO 200 is not hot enough.. 225-235 is a bare minimum.

don't mop every 1/2 hr...you're only gonna loose heat by opening the door and increase your total cook time.

I don't flip but you can.. rotate only if one side is getting too hot based on your smoker design and proximity to firebox.

The reason for starting at 200 was that I read that meat stops absorbing smoke deep once it hits 150. So the best way to get the deep down smoke is to keep at 200 until the meat hits 150.

So like I said, I just read this and have not tried. Do you think I should just forget that idea and keep at 235 for the entire time?

Thanks for the tip Smiter! I would have never noticed that search function.

The reason for starting at 200 was that I read that meat stops absorbing smoke deep once it hits 150. So the best way to get the deep down smoke is to keep at 200 until the meat hits 150.

So like I said, I just read this and have not tried. Do you think I should just forget that idea and keep at 235 for the entire time?

Your calll, but I would..

two things to consider why 200 is low

1) if you can't maintain 200 for all those hours, you can easily be at 180... plus if you're only going by the chamber door thermometer, that may not be accurate or the temp that the meat is cooking at.

2) boiling temp is 212 - cooking below even a boil temp is probably doing very little.

don't shoot for 235 the entire time either.. you'll go nuts trying to maintain it if you're not a veteran of your particular pit... Shoot for a zone of 225-275 (high heat is a whole different animal) and you'll keep your sanity (and get it done quicker with plenty of smoke)

Most welcome, it is kind of hidden down there.:nerd::nerd::nerd:

1) if you can't maintain 200 for all those hours, you can easily be at 180... plus if you're only going by the chamber door thermometer, that may not be accurate or the temp that the meat is cooking at.

2) boiling temp is 212 - cooking below even a boil temp is probably doing very little.

don't shoot for 235 the entire time either.. you'll go nuts trying to maintain it if you're not a veteran of your particular pit... Shoot for a zone of 225-275 (high heat is a whole different animal) and you'll keep your sanity (and get it done quicker with plenty of smoke)

What he said. It just needs to be in the zone of 225 - 275. And you CAN oversmoke ribs. Just put the ribs on cold, and you will getplenty of smoke flavor.

I agree that 200°F is too low a temp; I'd go for 225-235°F and leave the lid closed as much as possible. Remember, if you're lookin' you ain't cookin'...

If you are going to mop the butt, wait until it is closer to finished and mop it once every 30 minutes or so the last 1 1/2 of the cook. In my experience that is as effective as mopping throughout the cook; most of the mop seems to run off into the water pan or evaporate anyway.

Last, as others have said, put the meat on cold and it will smoke up fine.

^^ The man is right I am still sort of new to smoking and at first i was going nuts trying to hit the temp and keep it directly on what I was shooting for. After a few cooks I started getting the hang of my Pro Q now I shoot for 240-250 and can nail it every time after using it quite a bit. Now I have built a drum smoker and caught myself trying to "nail" the temp I was wanting, so I relaxed and thought 230-260 and after 2 cooks I know what i need to get close to my target temp. It will probly take many more cooks with it before I get as comforitible with it as my Pro Q. Darn that just means I am going to have to eat more good Q untill I get it right.

been on for about 1.5 hours. been holding nicely at 250 on right side and 225 on left side. meat right now is at 96 degrees. loving the smell of the apple/mesquite combo (2:1).

I'm going to take the advise and keep the lid closed. Looking forward to the results later!!

Wish me luck ;)

Jeb welcome. Another tip I will give you that I use is after I have the meat all pulled I spread it out and re dry rub it. Look at it this way for the most part the meat in the center of a shoulder or butt never sees any smoke or seasoning. Here's a great chance to give it some. Good luck with your smoke.

Jeb, The Pork butts I did last week were my best yet - I took to 165+ then into a foil pan with cherry juice and brown sugar - covered and back in smoker to 190+ then rested for over an hour (couldn't wait any longer!)

De-fatted all the juice and added back to the pulled product - Plan was to package and freeze what we didn't eat..............plan failed....all gone

Sounds like you have all the bases covered and are going to enjoy some great eating today , you have found the right place to hang your hat, the members here are absolutely amazing in regards to their knowledge and willingness to help

Remember to top that pulled pork with cole slaw - tradition

MSquatter has given you some of the best advise you can get. Glad you are asking and using the advise.

Good luck and welcome!

So I didn't have a 165 stall. I'm at 179 now and it's been on since 5am. I have my probe themometer ~1" from the bone in the deepest section.

Any ideas or am I okay?

Back