Oakridge/Stark modified Bludawg brisket

DUBBAGA

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Finally found a really nice Choice packer at the local Walmart Neighborhood Market recently, and figured it was time to do a brisket. After reading many successful posts, it was time to try HnF - Bludawg style.

Started off with a floppy 12.7lb packer, and trimmed off 3.1lb of fat/grey meat.

Floppy.jpg

Label.jpg

BlackOps.jpg

Fatcapup.jpg

Fatcapdown.jpg

Poortrimmingjob.jpg

Fatcapdowntrimmed.jpg

Lotsoffat.jpg

I can't begin to explain how fantastic it was to work on the Stark Disposable Cutting Board :thumb:. Although this wasn't a monster brisket, it was still 2 inches longer than my largest standard cutting board, but it fit nicely on the Stark board. If you haven't tried them yet, you really should do so. Check out his info on the Sales and Ventures page. After it was trimmed (really ugly job doing the fat cap), it was rubbed generously with Oakridge Black Ops, and allowed to rest while the UDS was coming up to 300 (running KBB and red oak).

Rubbed.jpg

After the UDS was holding steady, the brisket went on for 4hrs.

4hrslater.jpg

4hrsandreadyforwrapping.jpg

At the 4 hours mark it was wrapped in parchment paper (modified Bludawg as no butcher paper), and returned for 1hr. Started to probe the flat, and it wasn't even close to ready. Checked again at 2hrs, and still wasn't probing how I wanted it, but I pulled it and hoped that the carry-over cooking would be sufficient to get it probe tender. Separated the point for burnt ends, and wrapped the flat back up.

2hrswrappedandtimetoseparate.jpg

Pointseparatedforburntends.jpg

This was the first time that I brought out the probe thermometer as I wanted to know when it had cooled to 150 for slicing.

Cubed up the point, tossed with more Oakridge Black Ops and some bbq sauce, and tossed back on the UDS to render and crisp.

Once the flat had cooled to 150 I started to slice. It was TOUGH!!! The rest on the counter didn't get it where I wanted, but I was not deterred. Re-wrapped the flat in heavy duty aluminum foil, included the drippings from the parchment, and allowed it to continue cooking at 300. It was another 2 hours before it probed tender, and to my surprise the thermometer was registering 213.

The burnt ends turned out fantastic, and the twice-cooked brisket was on point. I truly love Oakridge Black Ops, it is such a great product.

Flatsliced.jpg

tenderslice.jpg

Burntends.jpg

Thanks to Matthew (Stark) for making the prep a breeze, Mike (Oakridge) for making the end product delicious, and Bludawg for making the process simple.

You can have some higher temperature readings for probe tender doing a HnF cook. 213* ain't bad

Nice looking brisket.

Bludawg will tell you, always trust your probe to tell you when the meat is done. Don't go by time or internal temperature.

Also when cooking hot and fast, the meat internal temperature will usually end up much higher than doing low and slow cooking when done.

Looks real good like always say trust the probe differences in pit temp readings are different due to placement and thermo accuracy. The parchment could possibly have a different effect over BP?? Either way I would like a slice or 3 of that.

Back