View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
trza
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Venison emergency!

A friend of mine asked me to smoke a few smallish hind quarters the other day. He gave them to me frozen solid, and given all the really cold weather I had it in a cooler and they were staying frozen just fine.

Over the past few days, the drain plug in my cooler loosened up and today's warm weather drained out the cold water. The meat is still fridge temp (3 but thawed out and I don't have the fridge or freezer space to store it. So I'm going to go ahead and smoke it tonight in the UDS with the picnic shoulder I was planning to do on new year's day.

Being short on research time, I'm hoping that you guys can give me an assist with my situation vs. digging through the forums as much as I normally would. In return, I will give you pr0n to look at. Sound like a deal?

Here's what I've got to work with:

2 hind quarters (bone in, est 8 lbs each)
2 layer UDS
Plenty of good lump (wicked good)
Hickory, cherry, and mesquite woods
A jar of Awesome Antler Rub from Sportsman's Table
Just about anything else in a standard kitchen
I also have some cool mustards from my wife's collection

I had originally planned to get some bacon and make a blanket for the venison, but I don't have any and the stores are closed. I hear that I could lard the meat with butter, but I am wondering if I could simulate bacon goodness by letting the fat from the picnic shoulder drip all over the venison? How about a water pan? I am worried about the venison drying out, especially when we're talking direct flame from the UDS.

I'm at a loss as to how long this might take to cook. What temp am I looking to hit, and about how long will it take?

Any other prep/cooking suggestions would be appreciated, as well.

Thanks for any help that you guys (and gals) can offer. I've never cooked venison before and I'm feeling a bit stressed about the situation.