First try at Buckboard bacon

SCRedneckBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Ok here we go! 4 pieces from a boston butt, average weight 2 1/2 lbs. for the one with brown sugar I used equal parts TQ and Brown Sugar

IMG_0715.jpg

For the one with black pepper i used equal parts TQ and Course Ground Black Pepper

IMG_0716.jpg

Into the Frig for a 10 day wait.. will flip them at least once during the 10 days, probably more.

Folks that have done this before, let me know if I am doing anything wrong!

More pictures at the 10 day mark! Will smoke it with some hickory after its cured.

Morton's Tenderquick, Hi-Mountain also makes a Buckboard bacon cure if ya like to google it.

I can't tell from the pics, but just make sure you get as much air out as possible.

Aside from that, looks yummy already!

ok, pulled them out the brine today and did a test fry. Man o Man was it good! Little salty for my taste, so I am gonna soak them some tomorrow, then lay some hickory smoke on them. Pictures to follow after the smoke!

Looking good!

My Dad used to raise hogs and he would cure and hickory smoke pork all the time. We stored it in the "smoke house." I never bothered to learn how he did it. I have to mark it up to the stupidty of youth.

Just a tip....dont take them a hair over 140 degrees, in my experiance...if you do, they tend to get tough. I've even pulled @137.....I always figure I'm going to be cooking them the rest of the way in the frying pan.

I gotta do this again.

Thanks for reminding me Sawyer.

And don't forget when finished, take the time to cut evenly for consistent frying!!!

I like it slightly thick, and try to get the nearly all the same:

100_0955.jpg

I gotta do this again.

And don't forget when finished, take the time to cut evenly for consistent frying!!!

100_0955.jpg
Nice skills! You should teach Ronelle how to use a knife.:twisted:

Well here it is hot off the smoker. The pepper bacon is on the left and the one with brown sugar is on the right. I am guessing the pepper caused the difference in color. They are currently wrapped and in the frig resting till tomorrow morning when I do the slicing! I think this is gonna be a long night!
IMG_0732.jpg

I gotta do this again.

100_0955.jpg

Gorgeous, somebody hand me a fork and knife!

Back