Picnic shoulder question

S

sajones97

Brethren,

Doing a picnic this weekend. Real cold, snow blowing everywhere, but it's been too long and I've got a 3 day weekend. Hopefully my mesquite chunks will help keep the temp up in the 'Dera.

Question: from my searches, it looks like I do a shoulder the same way as a boston butt? I really couldn't find too much on this topic, finding a poll showing more than 90% of you would rather smoke a butt.

I'm hoping for pulled pork out of this, and am wondering if I'm on the right track. My plan is to smoke at 220-230, foil at 160*, then finish and pull at 190*.

Does that sound about right?

PS: Do I put it in a cooler to rest after I pull?

After this, I plan to pull and finish with sauce,

I found a post referring to KCQer's finishing sauce:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

Any other advice?

I prefer the Picnic Shoulder and Smoke it just like a Butt. Foil it at 160* with some Apple Juice and take it to 190-200* and cooler it for a rest before you pull. That's Good Eating Pork...

Yes Yes treat it like a Butt
I like shoulder better for pulled
pork sammies I find the shoulder
pulls with nice long pieces..

I prefer the Picnic Shoulder and Smoke it just like a Butt. Foil it at 160* with some Apple Juice and take it to 190-200* and cooler it for a rest before you pull. That's Good Eating Pork...

Exactly this way for me too.

Cooler BEFORE you pull. Your second post says After, SAJ

Also, while your pulling the picnic, you will get a couple of muscle tendons that just wont "pull" properly. Set them aside, chop them up, then add them back to the pulled meat.

I love picnics and prefer them now over cuts higher up the arm

I would smoke the picnic a little longer because in my experience, it tends to have more connective tissue that needs to break down. You won't notice much difference because the picnic and the butt are both cuts from the whole shoulder.

Thanks fellas!

So, don't worry about the finishing sauce, and just use apple juice?

Do I rub the night before, or just before I put it on to smoke?

I usually put the rub on about 2 hours before it goes on the smoker. BTW, don't give up on the finishing sauce - looks good - might have to try it myself.

Alright. Got it.

Any recommendations for an easy, throw-together rub? I've got a pretty full spice cabinet. . .

Absolutely on the finishing sauce!! I don't have pulled pork without it anymore. I put it in one of those plastic picnic ketchup/mustard etc. bottles and once I pull the pork I give a few good squirts then mix it up. Some folks even like a little more in their sammie. That is the exact recipe I use as well. The apple juice is for during the cook in the foil. Let us know how it turns out and don't forget the pics.

Thanks again!

Anyone got a quick rub recipe they're willing to share?

I've got a great rub that would go great with that finishing sauce. When i go home for lunch i will get it.

Here's a simple one:

brown sugar
Kosher Salt
Paprika
garlic powder
black pepper
cumin
cayenne
allspice
cinnamon

They are listed in order from most to least. The amounts of each are up to you. Experiment!

Thanks Bigmista!

Sounds great. I have all that waiting at home for me, so I'll definitely give it a go!

PS: after visiting your site, I'm gonna have to build me a UDS eventually!

Heres mine. I got it from a friend and it has never turned out bad.

1/4 cup Firmly packed sugar
1/8 cup Sweet Paprika
3 tbls Black Pepper
3 tbls course salt
1 tbls Hickory smoked salt or more course salt
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp cayenne Pepper

Heres a mop sauce i use with this rub.

1 cup cider vinegar
1 small onion thinly sliced and sauted
1 tbls course salt

Thanks Pigpen!

I've got 3 picnics. If the weather cooperates, I'll definitely give this a go!

I like to inject salty apple juice into the picnic. then rub with mustard and brown sugar and Lawry seasoning take a little longer for picnic than butt.

Try this sauce also, this was by POOBAH also,
A vinegar/tangy based(I add more) sauce, but tomato taste...

32 oz. cheap ketchup.
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar.
1 cup sugar.
1 stick of margarine.
1 cup of lemon juice.
2 Tsp. black pepper.
2 Tbsp.crushed red pepper (red pepper flakes)

Back