• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork Shoulder-Boston Butt Difference?

h2o

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
what is the difference if any from a shoulder compared to a boston butt.
do you prepare the same?

A whole shoulder is a Boston butt and a Picnic all in one piece.
I prefer butts for pulled pork but picnics are good for chunkin, and they have more of a ham texture.

thanks mac
which one has the bone in?

Both have a bone and are from the front leg of a hog.

A "shoulder" (meaning whole shoulder) is divided into 2 portions.

The "butt" is the top section, usually squareish in shape. (Boston butt, pork butt, shoulder butt ect. are all the same thing) It's a bad name because it gives the impression that it comes from the hind leg of a hog but it doesn't. Ham comes from the hind leg.

The "picnic" section is the bottom section of the shoulder and has a tapered shape. Sometimes it comes with the skin still on it.

The same bone (shoulder) runs through both the butt and the picnic.

Both the butt and picnic can be boneless if the butcher has removed it.

Hope this helps.

I've found the "picnic" to taste "gamey", not bad, just different from a boston butt. Just my $ .02...I like the butt better

The "butt" (aka pork shoulder blade roast) will have a flat, blade like bone, and the picnic will have more of a long bone, or leg bone, in it. I think.

I've found the "picnic" to taste "gamey", not bad, just different from a boston butt. Just my $ .02...I like the butt better

I've noticed that the picnic smells like chit. Has anyone else noticed that? If so, does the vinigar wash (as described in another thread) make a difference?

Picnics are fine, I've done them a bunch of times as it seems to be all the supermarkets carry when I'm forced to shop locally. Boston butts have more meat in them, less waste.

Both have a bone and are from the front leg of a hog.

A "shoulder" (meaning whole shoulder) is divided into 2 portions.

The "butt" is the top section, usually squareish in shape. (Boston butt, pork butt, shoulder butt ect. are all the same thing) It's a bad name because it gives the impression that it comes from the hind leg of a hog but it doesn't. Ham comes from the hind leg.

The "picnic" section is the bottom section of the shoulder and has a tapered shape. Sometimes it comes with the skin still on it.

The same bone (shoulder) runs through both the butt and the picnic.

Both the butt and picnic can be boneless if the butcher has removed it.

Hope this helps.

I concur with this statement. That said, many butchers have a different name for the cut of meat, so I guess nothing is set in stone.

I've noticed that the picnic smells like chit. Has anyone else noticed that? If so, does the vinigar wash (as described in another thread) make a difference?
I have noticed that myself and I recently learned about a stink nerve on the picnics that some folks trim out before cooking. I personally like the boston's butts a lot better than the picnic's. They seem to fit better in the BWS and yield a lot more meat than the picnic cuts.

I have noticed that myself and I recently learned about a stink nerve on the picnics that some folks trim out before cooking. I personally like the boston's butts a lot better than the picnic's. They seem to fit better in the BWS and yield a lot more meat than the picnic cuts.

The stink nerve/gland should be removed to improve the quality of the finished product.

Stink nerve? I never heard of such a thing. Something new every day I guess. Where does one exactly locate the stink nerve on the picnic? I have one in my freezer now, which will be my last one, since I found someone with a membership at Restaurant Depot. Now I can get butts whenever I want, since my local supermarket, or Costco doesn’t carry them.

Back