Boubon flavored sauce

jpw23

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a bourbon flavored sauce, would it be better to use bourbon or maybe one of those bourbon flavors that people add to their home-made distalations...........what I am really worried about is selling something that may have a small amount of alcohol in it and if I need to address that on my lables......................any suggestions would be appreciated! thanks in advance:biggrin:

jpw, I just looked at the labels of 3 different bottles of Jim Beam brand sauces I have on the shelf. They all list Jim Beam bourbon as one of the last ingredients so it obviously contains very little beam. These were purchased at a big box store in my home town that does not have a license to sell liquor. You'll probably have to research the legalities regarding alcohol content. Funny how the laws work. I just looked at a bottle of McCormick orange extract and it lists alcohol content at 80%. That's 160 proof right off the shelf of my local grocer. Strange world.

Kevin said:
jpw, I just looked at the labels of 3 different bottles of Jim Beam brand sauces I have on the shelf. They all list Jim Beam bourbon as one of the last ingredients so it obviously contains very little beam. These were purchased at a big box store in my home town that does not have a license to sell liquor. You'll probably have to research the legalities regarding alcohol content. Funny how the laws work. I just looked at a bottle of McCormick orange extract and it lists alcohol content at 80%. That's 160 proof right off the shelf of my local grocer. Strange world.

I hear ya........you can get snockered on a bottle of vanilla extract but you can't buy a beer on sunday around here!!! Thanks for the input:biggrin:

Since a snifter of burbon and a good cigar are high on my list of enjoyment, burbon flavored sauce is a natural.

If I was buying a Bourbon sauce and I had a choice between one with Bourbon in it and one with Bourbon flavouring I know which I would pick. Infact I would never buy one without the actual named ingredient in it.

You can boil or burn the alcohol off the beverage when you made the sauce.

If you're unsure put a warning on the jar.

I make a sauce using Jack (flame the onions & peppers) and very little of the flavor really comes through.

My mother in law doesn't like anything with alcohol in it, but Thanksgiving she sure did eat up my beer butt apple injected turkey. If it is good EVERYBODY will eat it.

GPER said:
My mother in law doesn't like anything with alcohol in it, but Thanksgiving she sure did eat up my beer butt apple injected turkey. If it is good EVERYBODY will eat it.

Strange how that works.:roll: My wife hates beer, does not even want it in fridge, but when I cook with it she eats everything up. She also destests the smell of bourbon, will not even come close to me if I have been consuming it [not always a bad thing], but if I make my bourbon steak, she chows down big time. Go figure.

qman said:
Strange how that works.:roll: My wife hates beer, does not even want it in fridge, but when I cook with it she eats everything up. She also destests the smell of bourbon, will not even come close to me if I have been consuming it [not always a bad thing], but if I make my bourbon steak, she chows down big time. Go figure.

Yep, around here bourbon is a wife repellent. That can be a good thing.

Kevin said:
Yep, around here bourbon is a wife repellent. That can be a good thing.

If we could just get that wifespeak decoder ring:shock:

Well.......I made the first trial batch of bourbon sauce, I did not think that it was possible to use too much................I was wrong!!!! Oh well....back to the kitchen!!

There is a limit to how much alcohol can be in a sauce according to federal guidelines. Unless your trying to get someone drunk with your sauce you should have no trouble staying under the allowed amount. PLEASE, PLEASE make sure you list any alcohol you have in your sauce! Many people won't want to buy a sauce with alcohol in it for several reasons; Recovering alcoholic (even with little to no alcohol they don't want to taste it.), people on medications, religious or personal belifes, etc..
Also, you want to brag about the fact that there is alcohol in it. Many people will buy it just beacuse it has alcohol in it.

Be very careful how you list it.

I sell a Whiskey Hot sauce that has Jim Beam in it, but I list it as just whiskey. They are very protective of their brand names. I used a Jim Beam bottle filled with bbq sauce as a door prize at the local county fair. Two weeks later I got a letter from JIm Beam asking me to STOP using their name and trademaked bottle, or they will bring legal action against me! Turns out the local distributor of Jim Beam saw my door prize and took one of my business cards and sent it in to his company sales manager. BUSTED!
I was also surprised at the number of people who were concerened about the alcohol in my sauce, they were glad it was listed on the label.

I would think that most of the alcohol would/could/should evaporate out as the sauce simmers, leaving mainly the burbon taste. Regardless. alcohol content in the final product should be tested since, like midnight says, it can cause "complications" with some folks.

Finally got it right......................not too bad and the glass spectrometer shows no alcohol in the mix

Back