Advice on cooking country ribs

krshome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey all need some advice. I bought some bone in pork country ribs. I have never cooked these before so what temp should I cook at and what temp should I pull them. I will be cooking with a UDS. Any other tips, rubs, sauces whatever might make them awesome I'l, take that too. :hungry:

I cook mine at 250-275 for first hour to lay some smoke on 'em, then crank up the heat to 300-325 till they are probe tender. Usually about 4 hours, but I like to buy the largest cuts I can find. No foil, no spritz, no peeking, just dry rub and cook till "done".

Been using pecan on everything lately, and it has worked out great for my taste buds.

For a dry rub, I go with something simple like SPOG, or low sodium Montreal chicken (McCormicks). Because there is a lot of surface area on these, they can get overly salty real fast.

Good deal! I was waiting for some hotter temps, I really don't have that good of luck with 225. Thanks for the tip on the surface area never would have thought of that. Are you guys saucing you Country ribs or just leaving them naked? I will probe for tenderness but I also use a thermometer just to give me an idea of time left to cook, any idea the temps when it starts to probe?

krshome,

It depends! There are two cuts of pork sold as "bone in country style ribs". The first one below is taken from the shoulder end of a rib roast. The meat on this is more like a pork loin. It benefits from brines, injections, etc and should not be cooked past 160F or it will tend to dry out.
Original-Country-Style-Ribs.jpg

The second type of bone in country style ribs is really a sliced pork butt. This cooks just like a butt. No need to brine, etc. Take it up until it is fork tender (190F, etc) and you have some nice eats!
2.jpg

It should be pretty easy to tell which type you have by the shape of the bone.

I have a little site built up about country style ribs where I keep most of my recipes.
http://www.countrystyleribs.org/

(It links back to the BBQ Brethren)

While the above posts are all correct, wrapping and laying in some extra flavor is not at all a bad thing. You can use a similar technique to comp-style ribs and get a nice punch of other flavors into them.

I usually build a small fire in my Webber kettle set up for two zone cooking. I smoke them until they probe at 100 or so, reverse sear them over direct heat until they hit about 120 and then sauce them and bake the sauce on over indirect heat until they hit about 135 to 140 which is done. I try to pull them a little before they hit 140 to allow for a little carry over on the temp..

I like to smoke them for a couple hours then put them in a foil pan with some bbq sauce, cover and cook until they're tender.

+1 with what Jason says. I lay 'em out on the grill or smoker for a few hours and then put 'em in a pan with some sauce, rub of choice, and apple cider vinegar for an hour or two longer. I never really pay attention to how long it takes...just until they're probe or fork tender. Turns out awesome every time.

Back