Brisket Yield

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Anyone ever check the yield they get from a whole packer brisket? I always figure it at 50% but the first time I have actually weighed it out was this past weekend. I cooked a 12.5lb packer and yielded 5.5lbs of meat. At $2.89lb that makes my cost of the final sliced meat $6.57lb. Was this just an extra fatty brisket or what is the norm? You can bet I'll be weighing the next several out to see.

Anyone ever check the yield they get from a whole packer brisket? I always figure it at 50% but the first time I have actually weighed it out was this past weekend. I cooked a 12.5lb packer and yielded 5.5lbs of meat. At $2.89lb that makes my cost of the final sliced meat $6.57lb. Was this just an extra fatty brisket or what is the norm? You can bet I'll be weighing the next several out to see.

We usually get a 60% yield (40% loss) on our packers. (i.e. about 8.5 lbs from a 14 lb packer) We buy ours from out local SAM's and they are very consistent on the amount of fat content. On extra fatty ones it is usually a 50% yield. Sounds like you had a really FAT ONE. :biggrin1:

To be honest, I assume a 40% loss, but, I have never weighed it out.

5.5/12.5=.44 or 44%. Doesn't seem that catastrophic to 50%. Am I missing something?

It would be to me if I was running a restaurant. Food profit margins are often 5-8%. You don't want to be 6% off on food costs.

It would be to me if I was running a restaurant. Food profit margins are often 5-8%. You don't want to be 6% off on food costs.
I hear what your saying, sure if you cook a few hundred pounds or more a week it's gonna add up.

I cooked 4 packers a few weeks ago and ended up with a 54% yield across the board with them. They were all in the 14lb range with avg amount of fat. I figure 46% loss was in line.

I generally figure a 45 - 50% loss - doubling the raw cost for retail pricing. Getting IBP packers via my food distro & have found the range to actually be about 40 - 50% loss. So overall it works out costwise. Base it on 50% but make your markup a full 70% or more & you'll be doing fine...

I have been keeping track of yeilds for a few months now.
I cook about 75 briskets a week. After trimming to my spec, i average about a 55-58% yeild, After seperating and trimming to serve puts me right at 50%.

I usually get around 40% yield on full packer briskets. I'd love to get 55-58% like some of you are getting!

I have noticed quite a difference between yields if I foil, or do not. If I don't foil, I get about a 40% yield, about 55% with foil. This has much to do with moisture.

Tested this today with my cook - 53% yield. I trim hard fat before cooking & I wrap in paper when my bark has set. Figuring serving trim - I'm hitting 50% like Bubba.

Back