Log Splitting Pad?

thirtydaZe

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Finding out that my fire results are much better with smaller splits.

I don't really want to split in my lawn, and i know using my back porch will result in broken concrete eventually.

Is that a rubber product or something along those lines to protect concrete when splitting wood?

I got a stump from my wood supplier in Omaha. It works perfectly and it was cheap!

I've always split by putting a bigger log down first and splitting on it.

At least I did until I got my splitter.

I used a larger log until I got hurt now I just rent a small splitter for the weekend and split away.

I used to use a stump when i had a fireplace, but that was a different house.

Wouldnt a stump still potentially damage cement?

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ton-hydraulic-log-splitter-67090.html

one of these should work.
image_2018.jpg

Last edited:
I use an old stump as well. I wouldn't think it would hurt the concrete if a big stmp was used. just my own opinion...no factual information was used in formulating said opinion though lol

+1 on the harbor freight splitter. It is ok quality. I have been using one for about 6 months to split my almond wood right on my patio and it works fine for me. You can always get 20% off coupons so for under a hundred bucks it gets the job done. Northern tool has them also. I dunno if they are better quality but this one works fine for me. They look really similar online...

I used to use a stump when i had a fireplace, but that was a different house.

Wouldnt a stump still potentially damage cement?

If your cement patio is too thin, then you could damage it. Code where I live is at least four inches or reinforced concrete. A good chunk of tree stump will work on that.

However, I used to split my logs on a stump sitting on the ground out on the lawn. The stump stayed put, and the lawn survived just fine.

CD

How much are you splitting? You could rent a splitter for a day.

Got a piece of 1/8th or bigger steel plate you can lay down to protect the tile/whatever? Then put a bigger log down to protect your splitter.

bigger log works great or a Stump :) I split cords of wood a year never found a need for anything more :)

pwa

I use a piece of Hickory about 14"X14" .
When it gets too buggered up, it goes into the fire pit...
Hickory & Oak are plentiful around here.

I use concrete, you don't want anything that will absorb the energy from the splitter. The harder the surface the easier it is to split. Another tip, place your logs inside of an old wide tire so you don't have to stop after every split to stand the log back up.

Back