• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

slush time, help. please.

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
so since april i've practiced probably 15 racks of ribs.

my results are a 3 hour cook @ 275*. 2 out of and 1 in foil.

takes me about 10 minutes to fumble with the wrap and another 10-20 to rest, sauce, slice, and box.

so that 3.5 hours start to finish. i've hit this every time at home with success.

so, with that said, how much extra time you guys allow yourselves, just in case?

and what do you do with them if they come up right on schedule? vent, refoil, and cooler?

thanks for any help y'all are willing to offer.

If this cooker is dedicated to ribs maybe 4 hours, would rather have done early and hold.
But if you are cooking other categories on there and opening and closing....would bump your cook times due to heat loss.

thanks, agreed, have had this issue my first 2 comps.

i have a 2nd WSM now. so dedicated ribber. :becky:

so like 1/2 hour extra. they really do go quick once in the foil don't they? i was a non-foiler for years.

On ribs, I don't really allow more time for "just in case". I allow more racks. :becky:

I keep a pretty tight window on the ribs, maybe a 15 minutes JIC, but that is it.

On ribs, I don't really allow more time for "just in case". I allow more racks. :becky:

I keep a pretty tight window on the ribs, maybe a 15 minutes JIC, but that is it.

funny, i do that with butts, don't know why i didn't think of it for ribs. :redface: i assume you mean stagger putting them on the heat? some earlier and then some right on the money?

funny, i do that with butts, don't know why i didn't think of it for ribs. :redface: i assume you mean stagger putting them on the heat? some earlier and then some right on the money?

No, not unless the thickness varies greatly. I just cook several racks, start them at the same time and when it is time, try to find the best one (or two) to slice. Usually with tweaking things along the way, they are ready about when I want them to be.

Nothing wrong the time stagger though, if it helps your results and gives you some peace of mind.

Hey Boogie - I'm cooking 6 racks on the WSM. I've started to stagger in 15 miniute increments: 2 @15 minutes earlier than the schedule says, 2 @ 15 minutes later, and 2 @ on the nut. Seems to work...at least for now. :rolleyes:

Back