Got an ideas? I'm new at this....

Just keep the rain from getting into the top vents and you should be fine. An umbrella held onto a lawn chair with a C-clamp works.

A lot of GREAT info for you on this. I'm with Harmening. A mist / light rain won't effect your temps much, however if there is a breeze that will. If you have any wind try to get your WSM out of it. Enjoy your time with the WSM ~ and be sure to get the girlfriend to like the food. Someday you might want another smoker!

I have to agree with what everyone has said.

1.) Keep the girlfreind :-D

2.) Go the virtual bullet link and watch the videos, read the articles, and sign up for the discussion board. Tons of information there.

3.) If all else fails pack up the WSM send it to me and go out for BBQ, with your girlfreind of course. :wink::wink:

Congrats on your new bullet and your wonderful girlfriend...:cool: We'll be waiting for updates on your first smoke...good luck? :biggrin:

Well it's 11:21am right now and I have no started yet...

They're calling for 3inches in the afternoon and evening. I was planning to have it ready by 6pm for people coming over.
Think I should scrap the idea over the heavy rain?

I need your help forum

I myself don't let the rain bother me unless it is coming down really hard. I like Ron's idea with the umbrella however with wind I'm not sure how that is going to work. What I have done is take some foil and connect it to the handle(be creative) and drape it over the exhaust vent loosely. This will help keep some of the rain out of the cooker and also allow it to vent. I have found that most of the water that sits between the lid and ceter section just evaporates and it is not an issue.

Who do you guys got?

BTW I'm going for the Vikings/Jets however if I had to bet a wsm/house on it, I would say the Saints and the Colts. Get that thing fired up and get you butts on the wsm! Vince

thanks wish me luck

sucks my first smoke will be a wet one...

patience isn't one of my virtues when it comes to this.

Good luck! LOL Don't stress yourself out and just relax. This will help season yourself for really bad weather cooks! :biggrin:

Hey everyone, I'm very green when it comes to grilling but I've stepped it up a couple notches since I started about 4 years ago.
I'm going to be 23 soon and for my birthday, my girlfriend got me my first smoker.

It's a Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker.

Anyone have any good pork shoulder recipes I could try out?
Any other suggestions/tips would be awesome, and very appreciated.

can she get me one for my mini uds?:razz:

you will get the help here you need.

Welcome, nice cooker. For your first cook until you learn temp and smoke control, I would start with a shorter cooking item. For my first cook I did country style ribs, which are actually cut from the pork but and can be found at any grocery store.

Start with a simple rub
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar (sugar in the raw)
3 Tbsp Coarse Salt
1 Tbsp Sweet Paprika
1 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp Cheyenne Pepper
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
½ Tsp Onion Powder
½ Tsp Cumin

Smoke at 250-275 for 4-5 hours, then glaze for last 30 minutes.
-Glaze
Honey
Whiskey
Sriracha Garlic Chili Sauce
Ketchup

how much of each glaze ingredient?

Here's the update...

With Chris Lilly's recipe for dry rub and injection; I used my first smoke (WSM)!

011.jpg

I started a little later than I planned on, and to see exactly weather was going to do.

I maintained the temperature fine, and the wind wasn't bad at all.
It did rain however and used to old towels that I don't use anymore to cover the top to keep the heat in. It seemed to work pretty good.

013.jpg

I used mesquite and hickory mix.

Only bad thing was, I left my tech fork in the cold so I didn't get very accurate readings.
I don't recommend drinking all day if you want to pay close attention...

Anyways, I overshot the cooking time by about 40 minutes.
It turned out drier than I wanted.

Despite all of that, everyone I was with loved them. I was a bit more critical of them because I wanted them to be perfect, but I guess it wasn't bad for my first time.

pork2.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the awesome input and suggestions.

My 2 cents

Do you need to have your new q'er be mobile? I have the 22" WSM version and need to move mine from the backyard during the winter into the garage to get it out of the weather. I put wheel casters that I bought at Lowe's onto the legs. Makes it easier than dismantling the WSM into managable carrying pieces.

This spring, I want to put handles on the mid section for easier lifting when I clean it. Also want to add a side mounted thermometer that will be located just below the top grate.

Good luck with the new q'er. It can be addictive!!!!

Yeah I plan to make some real modifications to it once I get a good feel for it. I've only used it once, and I can already spot some leaks of smoke here and there. It will be operating a lot more smooth when I'm done with it.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'm definitely going to look into that.

I would start with Chris Lilly's recipe for starters. Make sure you let it good long enough, it will hover around 170 internal temp for quite some time while the fat breaksdown in the shoulder. I made the mistake my first time smoking of thinking my thermometer didn't work because it had been at 160-170 for so long and took it off early....it was horrible. You couldn't even pull it. Good luck!

Back