Need help with axle for smoker

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is the wrong area, so mods feel free to move to the correct area.

I'm adding wheels to the front of my superior smoker, and ran into a bit of a situation that I need some advice on. The axle is made up of 5/8" threaded bar, and it needed a bit of persuasion with my hammer to get it through the holes on each side of the smoker. I quickly realized that I was flattening the end I was hammering on and switched to a rubber mallet. However, the damage was done and now I can't thread the bolt on that end. I kind of crushed the threads at the end a bit.

So, what are my options in fixing this? My initial thoughts are to hacksaw the 1/2" or so, but I don't know if that will work. I also have a Dremel that I have never used. I was thinking of using that to just grind down the thread on the end, so the bolt could go past that and thread on the undamaged part. If that's the route I should go, what type of bit should I use?

Any help is appreciated as I'm frustrated right now.

Thanks

Pat

Maybe use a file if you just crushed the starter threads. It should work though.

Do you have a tap and die set? If so, pull out the 5/8 die and a little oil and fix the threads. If the threads are really bad, you may have to just cut new threads with the die. Use a little oil on the threaded rod while using the die.
If you don't have a 5/8 die, just check your local hardware store and buy one (less than $4 usually).

I have done something similar in the past. I have cut off threaded portions and had nuts go on, albeit with some persuasion. It's worth a shot, other than that your only option is to start over. I am slightly confused though, you said you are using threaded rod and the bolt won't go on, do you mean the nut wont go onto the threaded rod?

Do you have a tap and die set? If so, pull out the 5/8 die and a little oil and fix the threads. If the threads are really bad, you may have to just cut new threads with the die. Use a little oil on the threaded rod while using the die.
If you don't have a 5/8 die, just check your local hardware store and buy one (less than $4 usually).

What he said.. Also if you have to take it out to tap it, when you replace it just thread a nut onto it BEFORE you get out the BFH! :biggrin:

General tip: if you cut a threaded rod, the burr on the end makes it difficult to thread on nuts there. If you have a stationary belt or disk sander, it only takes a second to bevel the cut ends. Then the nuts thread on easily.

To fix a mushroomed threaded end, I'd just grind off the mushroomed part.

They do make soft-faced mallets, you know!

seattlepitboss (hobby machinist)

you said you are using threaded rod and the bolt won't go on, do you mean the nut wont go onto the threaded rod?

Yeah, the nut. Sorry, long weekend.

I think I'll try and grind or file it down a bit. It's not too bad and I don't want to cut it and make things worse as I don't have a lot of spare length (on the rod, of course) to play with.

Yeah, the nut. Sorry, long weekend.

I think I'll try and grind or file it down a bit. It's not too bad and I don't want to cut it and make things worse as I don't have a lot of spare length (on the rod, of course) to play with.
If you have a friend that is a mechanic just take it to him and he can rhread it for you. Will take 2 minutes. You can pay him with your great BBQ.

If you have a friend that is a mechanic just take it to him and he can rhread it for you. Will take 2 minutes. You can pay him with your great BBQ.

Yeah, it's a long story, but for a few reasons this rod is not coming back out. It needs to be fixed in place if at all possible. I know the local Ace does it, but like I said I can't get it out right now. This damn project is taking much longer than it should have already.

can you pull it out and start a nut on the other end?? if so just screw the nut all the way to the bad end, put your wheel on and stick it back in the holes. or if you run the nut all the way off the rod, it will fix the damaged threads enough so you can get it back on.

can you pull it out and start a nut on the other end?? if so just screw the nut all the way to the bad end, put your wheel on and stick it back in the holes. or if you run the nut all the way off the rod, it will fix the damaged threads enough so you can get it back on.

That was my first thought. Other than that the old tap and die at this point but most importantly, next time put a nut on it until it just meets the top of the bolt and bang away, may even want to use a small 2x4 on top of that to cousin the blows a bit. And if in the future you need to cut off a section of threaded bolt run a bolt down a little ways from where you are cutting it off then back it off it may be a little stiff but if you work it back and forth it will work off. In fact run three nuts down the bolt if there is room, make sure the two lower ones are together forming a lock nut situation giving you something to put in a vice or put another wrench on so you can keep it stationary without messing up the threads while you work the top bolt.
Dave

Try cutting a 1/4 inch off of it and then try threading a nut on it if you don't have a die to rethread it, next time you have to do any pounding like that put a nut on it first and pound the nut end rod instead

Just grind the bungled up threads/end down at an angle, and the nut will thread on without problem.

Thanks everyone - I ended up using my Dremel to grind it down a bit. Got it on in about 5 minutes, so that was easy.

Back