View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #11
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy64 View Post
Yes indeed. I've done many comps and worked so hard just setting up and breaking down that it became discouraging. The last comp I did my focus was on streamlining my setup and becoming more efficient/productive in the actual cooking and prep. Trailer was organized, outside was a minimum of only what I needed as if I were there by myself and overall it cut down on so many distractions. No coincidence that I placed in 2 of 3 categories with brisket as high as 4th. Kind of reminds me of what a golf instructor told me once. He said "good golf is boring golf". Routine and a disciplined approach every single shot might be boring but your score will benefit.
Yep. I remember a few years ago, our setup was so much (and we were more of a drinking team than a BBQ team at that point anyways), and the tear down was such a bear that we always dreaded doing it and put it off until as late as practical. Many times, it was after awards. As we got more serious about the BBQ side, we agreed that after last turn in, we were tearing everything down. Period. No rest, no relax, just clean and pack. That made us get more practical and pair down what we brought, as we were ready to sit (and drink a beer)!

Now, we have a porch trailer that makes our clean up a lot easier too, and every year we get quicker and more efficient. It really took that first step, though, and once you see the benefits, you naturally want to make it even better.

Thanks from:--->