7.5 hour ribs

amv81

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just finshed up a comp practice of loin back ribs and chicken. I smoked the ribs ( in a rib rack ) for 3 hours at about 250-275 deg. then, put them in foil with brown sugar, honey and Parkay for 2.5 hours. Pulled them back out and finished them flat on the grate for another 2 hours. The ribs were about 3.5 lbs. a rack, pretty good size racks, but they didn't pull clean from the bone, almost like they were under cooked, a lot tougher than what i am use to. What gives, i thought part of it might be using a rib rack but 7.5 hours should have been enough time. I know the meat is done when its done but they seemed to bend fairly easy. Has anybody ever smoked a rack of ribs for 9-10 hours without the temp ever getting below 245?

:twitch::twitch::twitch:

I use a maverick digital thermometer and the amount of charcoal and wood I used seems to be about the same as other smokes.

Was it loin backs cut to the normal thickness, or the extra thick and meaty ones. The extra meaty and thich ones do not cook anywhere near as fast as regular loin backs.

I would say they were the extra thick meaty ones.

Was it loin backs cut to the normal thickness, or the extra thick and meaty ones. The extra meaty and thich ones do not cook anywhere near as fast as regular loin backs.

True that!

Damn, that's a long cook time. I did 3 racks of BB's tonight at the same temps in 2 hrs flat. 1 rack of spares and 1 rack of beef ribs, both done in 3.5 hrs. Can overcooked ribs go from mushy back to tough?

While 7.5 hours at 275 seems long, 2 hours at 275 seem too fast. When i cook baby backs I like to get racks that are around 2.5 lbs and cook them at 265-ish and they take a little over 4 hours including some time in foil.

They more than likely came from an old hog from what you've said.. they'll never get tender.. You probably got a really good price on them too?

The price wasn't that great, about $13 a rack. I don't have a large selection of places to get ribs so I'm always on the look out for a new butcher in southeast Ohio.

Decent meat can be found here, but avoid the baby backs with the big thick meat strap on top. We've had some take so long to cook that we ended up tossing them in the trash.

3.5 lb loin backs???

Not possible. I would not go back to that butcher EVER.

You got a really old sow or something.

Back